Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ben Carlson: Bulls, Bears & Charlatans

FYI: “The reason that ‘guru’ is such a popular word is because ‘charlatan’ is so hard to spell.” – William Bernstein
Regards,
Ted
http://awealthofcommonsense.com/2017/06/bulls-bears-charlatans/

Comments

• edited June 2017
    Loved that word ever since I heard Louis Rukeyser flinging it at the appropriate targets on his show. Lou really knew how to deliver charlatan with some zing.

Put Lou's charlatan in the same league with Buffett's When the tide goes out ... you know who's been swimming naked."

Both great truisms.

Regards
  • MJG
    edited June 2017
    Hi Guys,

Charlatan is six-.dollar word. A cheaper and more common equivalent word is liar.

There are many signals that a liar unconsciously delivers. These have been studied for many years. Several excellent videos have been produced that summarize that research. These videos just might help you to uncover the many liars that we are exposed to just about every day. Here is a Link to a few liar characteristic signal presentations:

Edit: You can access the presentations by typing "how to spot a lie videos".

Enjoy and learn to recognize these charlatans.

Best Wishes

• edited June 2017
    @MJG: Interesting comments - especially in light of the current Administration. Your remarks reminded me of the cover story in National Geographic's June edition which I'd just finished reading: "Why We Lie - The Science Behind Our Deceptive Ways" http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/06/lying-hoax-false-fibs-science/
    (BTW: guilty as charged on my part.)

Best Wishes
  • Hi Hank,

Thanks for reading and replying to my post. After some difficulty, I did gain access to the full article that you referenced. It is an excellent summary of why and how often we lie.

I did take the two brief tests in that National Geographic article that purportedly measures our tendency to lie and how often we lie. I will not report my results.

Best Wishes
  • you mean 'I will report my results'
  • edited June 2017
    The test assumes you lied in scenarios you probably wouldn't lie and has you choose between five reasons they invented of why you lied. It then, in my results, it tells me I lie for reasons that remain unclear. Duh!
  • MJG
    edited June 2017
    Hi Davidrmoran,

No, I meant what I said. I will not report my results. That was my failed attempt at humor.

The included tests in the article are relatively weak when contrasted against other similar tests that are available on the Internet. I hesitate to trust any of these tests given the complex structure that motivates most of our lying instincts.

Best Wishes
  • mine was humorous too, ungotten

had to do w lying

etc