Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why Active Vs. Passive Is The Wrong Debate

FYI: Like nations that have been in disputes for centuries, the “active versus passive” debate is an issue in the investing world that never seems to go away. While the academic underpinnings of the debate prove interesting—and may last forever–do investors even remember the original issue that started the debate?
Regards,
Ted
http://www.etf.com/sections/index-investor-corner/why-active-vs-passive-wrong-debate?nopaging=1

Comments

• Finally! Someone talking some sense. It doesn't matter if one does not agree with every reason provided in the article for making this argument.

Unless you are invested with absolutely incompetent manager over the long run it is going to matter diddly. The quest to measure against index is futile. One needs to focus on absolute returns and permanent loss of capital. What I call ANALysis. This lets me navigate my retirement accounts even when I get locked out of repurchase when I am forced to sell on whipsaws in index funds. I just go into another "large cap" fund or a target retirement fund.

What I like is a "smooth" line going upward all the time and I'm okay if the slope of that line is below the index slope. I just need my slope to be smoother and I have been achieving it for the past 10+ years. I'm perfectly fine seeing a "flatline" in my portfolio before my models tell me to start moving "upward" again, and I don't try catching the index slope.