Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wells Fargo Advisors Restricting Investments For Retirement Accounts

FYI: (Click On Article Title At Top Of Google Search)
Mutual fund sales will be limited to T shares, while municipal bonds, preferred stock and international debt will be prohibited.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/#q=Wells+Fargo+Advisors+Restricting+Investments+For+Retirement+Accounts

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Prohibiting preferreds, munis (not that you necessarily should put them in an IRA), and other forms of relatively popular and 'safe' corporate debt in a retirement account? Is it me, or is that crazy? Heck even some of their brokers are questioning the logic of this plan....

Per the article:

"One Wells Fargo adviser was confused by the changes, saying that he couldn't recommend the corporate debt of a well known U.S. corporation because it did not meet new credit quality restrictions but could recommend other riskier securities under the new guidelines.

Wells Fargo Advisors recognizes that "clients need choices when making their investment decisions to help them achieve their long-term goals," spokeswoman Emily Acquisto wrote in an email. "We are assessing the DOL's latest guidance and will continue to evolve our strategy to ensure our clients have the best outcomes under the rule." "

• The only news I want to hear about WF is more people moving their accounts.
  • @VintageFreak: "The only news I want to hear about WF is more people moving their accounts." Moving in or out of accounts ?
    Regards,
    Ted

• Presumably OUT given all their account-related scandals at their banking arm. That said I have a trust account at the full-serve WFA and have had nothing but good experiences there and a rather good, low-key, non-pushy FA to work with. If he ever leaves, I'd either follow him with the account or move it all to a discount firm since there's very little I do with the account trade-wise year-to-year.
    Ted said:

@VintageFreak: "The only news I want to hear about WF is more people moving their accounts." Moving in or out of accounts ?
    Regards,
    Ted

• Yes, when no one is left at Wells Fargo, we can stop talking about it.