Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jason Zweig: Are You Really Crazy Enough To Buy A Quadruple-Leveraged ETF?

FYI: (This is a follow-up article.)

Until this past Wednesday, the S&P 500 had gone for 15 days in a row without moving up or down by more than 0.5% — the longest such streak, according to WSJ Market Data Group, since February 1969. Then the index snapped down 1.8% on the political turmoil in Washington.

At the same time, the Securities and Exchange Commission is reconsidering its approval of a pair of exchange-traded funds that would seek to quadruple the daily returns on U.S. stocks. That decision isn’t expected right away. But a closer look at these funds shows how easy it is for investors to get scorched when they play with fire — and how hard it still can be to get the information you need on risk.
Regards,
Ted
http://jasonzweig.com/are-you-really-crazy-enough-to-buy-a-quadruple-leveraged-etf/

Comments

• I think market knows there are enough crazy people, so yeah. I'm going to stay underinvested if this bull market continues for next 5 years, except for my retirement accounts where I tend to be fully invested.