Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Paul Merriman: Try This Low-Cost Portfolio With Massive Diversification

FYI: The ultimate buy-and-hold strategy: "Ultimate" isn't a term to toss around lightly. But in this case it fits. I believe the investment portfolio I'm about to describe is the absolute best way for most investors to achieve long-term growth in the stock markets.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-ultimate-buy-and-hold-strategy-2017-05-04/print

Comments

• beebee
    edited May 2017
    Thanks @Ted...perfect article for my friend's 30 year old. I might even learn something.

Hope the next 46 years are as generous. What am I saying, I won't be around for it to matter.
  • TedTed
    edited May 2017
    @bee: Your welcome, have your friend's 30 year old look at these other "Lazy Portfolios".
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.marketwatch.com/lazyportfolio
  • As Ted's link shows, you can do simpler (fewer) than this, and with no bonds even simpler than that. Set and forget.
  • Or one could just buy FFNOX - Fidelity Four-in-One Index and go about their life.
  • edited May 2017
    IMHO, the simplest thing to do is stop listening to people like Paul Merriman. You will figure out quickly what you want to do with your money, and based on your age how long to hold it for.

"Try this...". Sure. Let's "try". At worse, it's just like bad coffee. Not like it can mess your life up. Which 65 year olds retirement messed up in 2002 and 2008 with this buy and hold strategy? No one's. At least no one we know. Besides can't you see the sheer genius of moving 10% from S&P 500 into Large Value? OMG. Been waiting for someone to explain to me all my life.