Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

My Friend Is Beating Me: Haystacking vs. FANG

FYI: I got an email from a reader which touches on so many interesting points that I wanted to share and answer him here.
I have a 401(k) through my employer and invest mostly in a passive strategy indexed to the S&P. I have a friend who like me has a 401(k) through his employer. Where we differ, is that he allocates his “side” portfolio to one asset – Facebook.

I try to highlight the dangers of being as concentrated in one asset as he is.

His counter-argument is quite consistent – he’s beating me. Consistently, and by a lot.
While I would never consider being so concentrated with my own portfolio, I do often think about a strategy adjustment to significantly overweight Facebook, Apple, Google, Amazon, Netflix. Even if one of them crashes, the gains that the remaining 4 have been producing would still have a better yield than S&P
Regards,
Ted
http://theirrelevantinvestor.com/2017/05/06/my-friend-is-beating-me/