Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bogle Says If Everybody Indexed, Markets Would Fail Under Chaos

FYI: Investors wouldn’t have a way to capture value in the stock market if it were entirely held by passively managed funds, according to Jack Bogle, the founder of Vanguard Group.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-06/bogle-says-if-everybody-indexed-markets-would-fail-under-chaos

Comments

• edited May 2017
    As regards, "Bogle also said the chances of everybody indexing is "zero."
    I can confirm (based on a highly reliable source) that that part is 100% accurate.
  • Mind game...

Everyone moves into all index funds, presumably spread out over the whole market. Funds that hold all of the components of an index would skyrocket with their valuations dependent only on how much money was allocated to that index. But the relative value of each stock to the other would remain the same forever, until the SP500 for example delisted a company. Then it's price would drop to close to zero unless it was immediately added to another index

Indexes that rely on a "random" sample of larger universes would jockey to pick the best sampling process because if their returns were better they would get more money. If were truly random then we would really have a "random walk".

But if a company's value was only determined by what index it was in, then there would be no incentive for mangers to improve the bottom line as the stock price would only be determined by popularity of it's index. Large companies wold have access to almost unlimited amounts of capital small companies almost none. More of the smaller ones would go private further exacerbating the situation.

MFO would go dark.
  • edited May 2017
    Pretty much what David Winters said on Consuelo Mack show. Matter of fact he is claiming indexing is already a problem and getting to be bigger one. Market cap weighted indices are effectively nurturing momentum based indexing where more of the stocks that are going up are bought and actually fuels bubbles.

Now, unsure how "value" index funds work. I mean they will also keep buying those stocks that go up, i.e. keep buying less "valuable" stocks every day.

Okay, this is giving me a headache now.