Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Autonomous Minivans in AZ roll out...Waymo

beebee
edited April 2017 in Off-Topic
As a car enthusiast, I'm trying to wrap my driving gloves around this loss of freedom (we used to get our "Kicks on Rt 66")...

From the Article:
Now residents in the Phoenix area can apply to join ...in the early rider program. Over the course of this trial, we’ll be accepting hundreds of people with diverse backgrounds and transportation needs who want to ride in and give feedback about Waymo’s (Waymo — formerly the Google self-driving car project — stands for a new way forward in mobility. Our mission is to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around) self-driving cars. Rather than offering people one or two rides, the goal of this program is to give participants access to our fleet every day, at any time, to go anywhere within an area that’s about twice the size of San Francisco.
Article:
waymo/apply-to-be-part-of-waymos-early-rider-program

Comments

• @bee
    Well, Phoenix during rush hours will be one heck of a test.
    As a long time techie person (1967), I'm always curious/watch/participate about how tech. travels into our lives and the changes that take place.
    Curious as to the future for one point; being collisions with other "normal" vehicles, when human drivers are no longer a part of "self-driving" vehicles.
    One can image "proof" of who is at fault; and how insurance companies deal with such matters. Even more critical to this aspect is a "fatal" auto accident.
    I have not studied, but will presume the vehicles have redundant electronic systems; but what about the systems which transmit data to the vehicles? And heaven forbid, major solar activity bothering the satellites.
    Oh, well...........