Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Stock Analysts’ Biases Are Showing, A Study Finds

FYI: Male stock analysts tend to write more favorably about public companies headed by men than about companies led by women.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.wsj.com/articles/stock-analysts-biases-are-showing-a-study-finds-1491489368

Comments

• edited April 2017
    40% vs 30%. That's a bias...

Oh wait now. 3.24% bias. OMG. Men are horrible, horrible creatures.

Oh wait. Can someone let me write this article. 3.24% of all male writers at WSJ are complete morons? Or perhaps 3.24% of editors who hire reporters at WSJ have absolutely no shame? I mean I can pretty much say anything when the barrier is 3.24% !!!

Oh wait, not so fast. I have to conduct a study first before I promise to prove it. I can put 3 numbers on top of each other in bold letters with the 3rd being the difference of the 2 above it. 3.24% !!! Who knew !!!

“The biggest surprise for me,” Dr. Kumar concludes, “was the fact that the market consistently doesn’t recognize that this bias exists.”

And the market is supposed to do what with this information exactly? Not trust favorable / unfavorable comments made by analysts 3.24% of the time if the analyst and the CEO were of opposite sex?

I have a few choices on what to do now.
    a) Put my fist through my laptop
    b) Jump out of nearest window
    c) Climb into my attic and cry.

Why can't I make a living writing articles. I really want to settle on Mars....