Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Men Bet She Would Fail; Now She Runs A $26 Billion Fund

FYI: Dawn Fitzpatrick manages the billions in family
wealth of the investor George Soros. But she takes
over at an unsettled moment for global markets.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/08/business/dealbook/george-soros-dawn-fitzpatrick-american-stock-exchange.html?ref=business&_r=0

Comments

• Too bad she works for the devil.
  • I didn't know George Soros was the devil. Unlike few others, I've never known him to say "I do god's work". Now *that* is devil personified.

Just like in the last election, we have to pick the best of the worst. Not saying he is "best", but I seriously doubt he is devil incarnate. Relatively speaking of course.
  • Morn'in @VintageFreak

From a post or two I linked over the years, from Nov. 2009, per Mr. Lloyd Blankfein.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lloyd-blankfein-says-he-is-doing-gods-work-2009-11
  • @catch22 Blanky said that in front of congress. However, you will be surprised how many bankers say that. Worse, they seem to actually believe it. That sort of logic is inculcated within them.

I'm quite sure you don't just "become" a banker. You are conditioned to think this way. In your mind you are justifying your actions thinking you are "helping" others. It helps to remove/lessen the guilt you feel when you make money, or don't make money (but at the expense of others) with your "expertise".

Somehow I will never understand what intellect you need when you can borrow at X% and lend at Y% where X < Y. The only reason some people can do that is because they have money @ critical mass. This is only possible through economies of scale. Others trying to do it have to pay "fees" which does not make it possible.

These guys are not taking any "risk" to deserve their "rewards".