Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Barron's Cover Story: TIAA/Nuveen: A Trillion Dollar Startup Is Making Its Move

FYI: (Click On Article Title At Top Of Google Search)

Roger Ferguson is rebuilding the pension-plan giant from the ground up and aims to expand its reach.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/#q=TIAA/Nuveen:+A+Trillion+Dollar+Startup+Is+Making+Its+Move+Barron's

Comments

• The article positively mentions that TCLOX owns real estate property and implies that's helpful diversification.

According to M* that fund-of-funds holds less than 1% in real estate. Why the Barrons writer thinks that almost-invisible percentage is worth pointing out is beyond me. Diversification for an allocation of less than 1%? Really?
  • edited April 2017
    @rforno you asked a why question....because like most articles, this article was sanctioned to put the manager/fund/institution in good light....OR...
    maybe it is simply a matter of quid pro quo...
    OR...

you get my drift.

I decided some time back I will go GET my news. It's more reliable that way. If someone is GIVING me news, the COB in me suggests is probably horses***. Probably not a good way to go through life, but somehow, guilty until proven innocent is how I chose to read the financial media. They don't have the same rights I would have for society outside finance.

Lastly, what the Barron's writer is thinking is less important. What is more important to understand is that most material does not want YOU to think. Just lap it up. People at MFO, like you, are more discerning.