Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Head Of The Class

FYI: (Click On Article Title At Top Of Google Search)

TIAA, long the beloved asset manager of teachers, has kept a low profile. Buying Nuveen should change that.

I come from a family of teachers, so I was pretty familiar with TIAA-CREF before becoming a financial journalist. The $900 billion asset manager is best known for the nearly $600 billion it runs in pension and other retirement plans for academic institutions. I’ve heard more than one person say with relief that “all my money is with TIAA,” as if that were all that one needed to know.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/#q=Head+of+the+Class+Barron's

Comments

• My wife and I have substantial amounts of our retirements with TIAA-CREF. We're actually wary of the firms' recent moves. The problem is TIAA-CREF has both non-profit and a for-profit shops. Seems like the latter is driving an asset grab, even as many of the funds/products are the same and merely dual-branded.

Was it really necessary to start expanding the for-profit side?
  • Shostakovich, isn't the name-of-the-game these days all about collecting AUM? With the move to ETF's and indexes those who have the biggest pile of $$$ win.