Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Conuselo Mack's Wealth Track: Guest: Bill Miller, CIO, Miller Value Partners: Independent Investor

FYI: Legendary investor Bill Miller has always been an independent thinker and investor with a 100% “active share” in his funds, as different from any benchmark index as you can be. He is also now his own boss, having recently purchased 100% of his fund business from his long time employer Legg Mason and establishing his own investment advisory firm, Miller Value Partners. His two funds now bear his name and carry on his contrarian tradition of concentrated holdings in largely unloved stocks. His flagship Miller Opportunity Trust was the number one U.S. stock fund for the five year period ended in 2016. In a rare interview Miller gives his rationale for some of his most controversial holdings, including Valeant Pharmaceuticals.
Regards,
Ted
http://wealthtrack.com/miller-independent-investor/

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Some people should not be seen again. Miller is one of them.

Contrarian...Value...and of course for the last 5 period of this extreme bull market his fund is tops again. Who knew!

And if you had ANY doubt...this is from Morningstar fund front page snippet for "Analyst Commentary". This is NOT a typo.

Legg Mason Opportunity Trust has outperformed at times, but its volatile nature leaves it vulnerable to substantial losses in down markets. This fund earns a Morningstar Analyst Rating...

They didn't even bother to be objective. They just knew they HAD to cover it. And let's start with a Neutral rating before we fall all over ourselves.

And Consuelo, "in his rare interview"...that's because YOU are responsible. Else there would be NO interview.

People who invest with Miller deserve it.
  • Remember when he was on the cover of many financial magazines and publications? Now, you can find him on the side of a milk carton at best.
  • This why there needs to be more disclosure of manager ownership. It is not an effing privacy concern. Miller owned "1 million" of LMVTX. Okay...he bought a freakin' $70 MM yacht. That's how I knew to stay away from him. You would think if he wanted to let the world know he bought that yacht, he could also indicate how much of LMVTX he owned. $1MM is like pennies for him. He is not investing with his shareholders, he is gambling with other people's money where the downside for him is practically nothing, while of course the upside is unlimited. And all while charging 12b-1 fee for a closed fund.

And now he opens his own shop and all is forgiven, of course.

Perhaps now people can understand why I dream of my kids becoming mutual fund managers. Last thing I want to do is impose my morality on my kids. I blame my parents for the scruples I have. Just like everyone else let's only worry about what is "legal" and justify it in the name of capitalism.

What a job. What a !@#$%^&* job!