Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Multi-Asset/Tactical Income Funds

Just trying to research some options for replacing NWQAX, which is a bit too volatile and low credit quality for my liking. I already hold PIMIX, ISIAX, OSTIX, GIBLX, PRFHX and LALDX. I was looking for something to fill a niche that the aforementioned funds do not, albeit a bit less high yieldy than NWQAX. A few funds that popped up on my radar were JHFIX, BAICX, BASIX, BMSAX, JIPAX, among others. Any suggestions or input? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• PACAX, ETNMX, AMJVX
  • ETNMX is quite interesting, as is PACAX. AMJVX seems like a high yield fund and not necessary for me at this point. Thanks for the input, Art !
  • I have a bunch of "income" funds in my IRA where I don't quite use my ANALysis to manage. ETNMX is amongst them.

Speaking of high yield, I read article recently, high yield funds will do better than intermediate bond funds. Will try find it.
  • edited March 2017
    @Willmatt72,

I have owned BAICX for the past couple of years and I am pleased with its performance along with its ability to position. I hold BAICX in my income sleeve. I also kicked NWQAX to the curb a few years back due to its high volatility for a 15% to 30% equity allocation fund; but, I can not knock its performance. Some of my recent adds to my hybrid income sleeve are APIUX, DIFAX and PMAIX. Recently, I sold some equity funds and have been putting the money to work in my hybrid income sleeve.

My current possitions in my income sleeve are as follows: BAICX, CTFAX, FMTNX, GIFAX, LALDX, LBNDX, NEFZX, THIFX & TSIAX. In my hybrid income sleeve they are as follows: APIUX, CAPAX, DIFAX, FISCX, FKINX, ISFAX, JNBAX, PGBAX & PMAIX.

In the income area of my portfolio I have recently gone from 12 funds to 18.

Skeet
  • I have owned a number of these, but my current holding and favorite is PGBAX. Also check out Principal's relatively new etf, YLD. Looks very nice but be aware despite its decent AUM it seems to trade with low volume.
  • Yes, I'm trying to weed out the low credit quality funds as I have that covered already in my portfolio. BAICX and PGBAX seem like good funds but don't seem much different in credit quality than NWQAX.
  • beebee
    edited March 2017
    Invesco Multi-Asset Income = PIYFX (M* classify it as Multi-Sector Bond fund).

Holds:
    40% Equity, mostly in Real Estate.
    33% Bonds (short 1/3),
    21% "other"
    9% cash.

Almost a 5% yield.
  • @willmatt72: With all due respect, you remind me of a kid in a candy store telling the man behind the candy cases, I want to try a piece of each kind. You own to many bond funds and suffer from diworsification !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Hi Ted, with all due respect, you remind me of that cranky old guy in Gran Torino who says, "Get off my lawn!" Otherwise, thanks for the limited input on this thread.
  • @willmatt72: If you believe you need to own a, Multi-Sector,. Nontraditional, High-Yield, Intermediate-Bond, High-Yield Muni, and a Short-Term Bond Fund, then the best of luck to you.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • I tend to agree with Ted on this. Three or four fixed-income funds should be plenty, unless your account is all bonds. In my own retirement account, I own three bond funds: OSTIX, FFRHX, and THIIX. They are each very straight forward, very low volatility and low downside capture. Given higher interest rate environment, this makes sense to me. I also like LASYX, TGBAX, LLDYX, and PONDX. But the three I own now work for me. I don't have to constantly watch them. Great management, simple to understand, and decent interest income. I prefer to keep bonds pretty simple.
  • Just having a little fun of course. I do see your point of view and respect it. There are some posters on this site who hold quite a few bond/multsector/multi-asset funds in their portfolios. I know I'm not alone. I'm attempting to whittle it down a bit.
  • Incidentally, i do have a rather large portfolio so I do not feel comfortable paring it down too much. I feel more comfortable spreading my assets a bit.