Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Index funds and taxable accounts

I almost posted this in the thread that noted that even active funds that are outperforming are losing assets to index funds but I decided it might generate more discussion as a separate thread .scussion as a separate thread

Speaking for myself I am truly sorry that since 2013 I did not have most of the assets in my taxable accounts in index funds(until that year distributions were not that large). Outperformance by up to 3% does not compensate for 10% or more capital gain distributions which throw me into a higher bracket and make me exposed to other penalties Even worse any underperformance can result in large withdrawals by others resulting in even larger distributions. Selling the funds is no solution as that results in a bigger tax bill.Obviously if I had to do it all over again I would do it differently . Any ideas would be appreciated as my current strategy of avoiding taxes is to die and that strategy has flaws

Comments