Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ten Ways To Get A Good Return On Cash (Stocks Not Included)

FYI: Maybe you've been riding that bull for eight years and feel like it might be getting tired. Maybe you're getting a little jumpy yourself, with all that money in stocks and now the Trump-rally turbulence.

You could use this slightly queasy moment to improve your finances without getting anywhere near the big, (currently) booming equity market.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.fa-mag.com/news/ten-ways-to-get-a-good-return-on-cash--stocks-not-included-32020.html?print

Comments

• All good ideas, Ted. The one about legal documents, however, is especially good. I cannot tell you how many people think if they have a will, they are all set. THEY ARE NOT! Yes, a will is important. But perhaps even more so are Powers of Attorney that designate who will act on your behalf for healthcare and financial decisions. These are critical, especially for single people, since spouses typically serve as POA for each other. And folks should make sure the financial POA includes language the specifically includes "all retirement accounts". Most custodians like Fidelity and Schwab will not honor financial POAs that do not have this language. The other important legal item is to be sure your beneficiary designations are current. Many times we find folks who have remarried with life insurance and/or financial account beneficiaries still naming their ex-spouse, or young people just married with their parents still named as beneficiaries.

People, please take time to get these two items done, and be sure they reflect how you wish your assets to be handled in the event of your incapacity or death. This really is important.
  • Hi@BobC
    Fully agree with the POA side and I have pushed reminders to family/friends over the years regarding the thoughts and wording in a will, VERSUS an "override" affect of a beneficiary set into any monetary account(s). And to the more simple side of adding an adult child to a savings/checking acct.
    'Course, these items noted presuming the full trust among family members.
    I'm sure many of these arrangements become very difficult for too many folks.
  • Just trying to understand. I should give POA to my wife and she to me? And then together we should give POA to someone else?

I've designated my children as beneficiaries of my 401k, IRA ater my wife, that is not enough?

And then if I have a WILL too, what overrides instructions in what? Unlike number of investments, I'm actually thinking 1 proper instruction is better than several which can cause conflicts unless I get the verbaige exactly right.

My problem is this. WTF do I have to do 6 things to make the same thing happen?