Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

IBD: Which Mutual Funds Beat The S&P 500 Over The Last 1, 3, 5 & 10 Years?

FYI: A mutual fund exists for virtually any and all your investment needs in your retirement or other accounts. The challenge is in choosing the right one for your portfolio from the more than 8,000 mutual funds available.

The second annual IBD Best Mutual Fund Awards makes the task a lot easier. Every one of them has beaten its benchmark for the past one, three, five and 10 years — a feat that fewer than 4% of U.S. diversified stock and U.S. bond funds can claim.

Look at the list and see if you already own any of these top performers. If you don't, compare them to the ones you do own and see if they might make a better fit in your portfolio. If you're looking for a fund to start or add to your portfolio, this best-of-the best list is a great place to start.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investors.com/best-mutual-fund-awards/ibd-best-mutual-fund-awards-growth-value-large-cap-small-cap-muni-bond/

Comments

• Thanks Ted, it's nice to look at a list like this. I understand the implications for consistent returns but leaving any fund out that didn't manage to beat the S&P during the last year seems like it could miss any number of great funds.
  • Why not just look at 10 years? I give you WWWFX, just plot it @ Morningstar. Best yet, plot it at portfoliovisualizer from 2007 through 2016. Look at all the ratios too. WWWFX according to M* I think is worse than the worst. At some point in time because they couldn't call it "negative" they simply dropped coverage. But who remembers?

WWWFX is substantially in cash right now. I've been waiting to buy this fund for a long time. Next correction it's going to be perfect for a trade.

Btw, I like it how IBD slipped in the word "best". Not the "outperforming", but rather, the "best".
  • I noticed that Pin Oak Equity (POGSX) shows up on several of these lists. If you wonder why it has just over $220M in assets, just pull a chart from the late 90's to today. I owned that, plus White Oak, after falling for the Oelschlager Oak Associates sales pitch. That's why I am cautious of the "star manager" to this day.
  • >> Why not just look at 10 years? I give you WWWFX

Just plot it at 3-4-5y, and there's the answer to why not. But if you believe in the decisionmaker, sure. Same as CGMFX and Heebner. 'Twas ever thus. Gotta believe the manager's skills abide.