Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

OPGIX up 4.43% today.

Its top holding, NKTR, was up 42.65% today. 2nd top holding, AMD, was up 6.75%. This fund continues to deliver. OPGIX could head the other way at some point, but it has been fun being in it.

Comments

• couldn't but notice M* rating comment "single person running fund" and "key person risk". Wonder if they apply the same yardstick to other funds. NOT!
  • I actually prefer a single person at the helm (accountability)
  • couldn't but notice M* rating comment "single person running fund" and "key person risk". Wonder if they apply the same yardstick to other funds. NOT!

I know. I'm sure they don't say the same thing about Giroux with PRWCX, or with PTRAX when Bill Gross was the sole manager all those years.
  • This fund took a hit today (Tuesday). That 5.75% load is a real turn-off ...
  • PopTart said:

This fund took a hit today (Tuesday). That 5.75% load is a real turn-off ...

This fund can be bought without a load at various brokerages. At this moment the day's NAV has not been reported. I'm sure most stock funds took hits today.
  • That 5.75% load is a real turn-off ...
    I keep seeing responses to loads on certain funds (probably because M* says so) having loads. Maybe it is you PopTart that brings it up, I don't keep track. But most big name brokerages offer these funds load waived. For this fund and many others, there is no load at Schwab.
  • @MikeM. That's a very good point. Fido and Schwab waive load on lot of funds. Scottrade does to some extent as well. Wonder what happens when it merges into TDA though.
  • It's not the helmsman that's the concern, its the crew, or lack thereof.
  • @MikeM. That's a very good point. Fido and Schwab waive load on lot of funds. Scottrade does to some extent as well. Wonder what happens when it merges into TDA though.

TDA waives loads for a lot of funds. Scottrade is merging with TDA? I guess I'm not keeping up.
  • I didn't know that the load could be waived. First time I've commented on a fund's load, so prior comments came from other people. What's most important is each individual's fund preference, how it fits into their portfolio and their ability to sleep at night ...
  • Hi @PopTart- We use Schwab, and I frequently use their site to follow up on suggestions made here on MFO. I've noticed quite a few waived loads, but not always. Hard to predict. Like most here, I won't touch a load fund any more, although our very early investments were with American Funds.

Here's a link to Schwab info page for DESNX, as example. You don't need to be a Schwab client to use much of the info available on this page.
  • Thanks OJ!
  • I know that loads are waived at most brokerages, but just the fact they may get the load off some investors is a real turnoff for me. Even if waived, I tend to not want that fund.
  • Interesting this fund is brought up, since we used it back in the early 1990s when Bill Wilby ran it. We sold it when he retired and really have not looked at it since. Still some impressive long-term and short-term rankings. M* comments are typically obtuse. If you are going to own an actively-manged fund, the things you want are precisely what M* considers risky: concentrated portfolio that owns a smallish number of holdings of the manager's best-convictions, a strong, experienced manager (who cares if he works alone, and the fund has fared well under ALL managers), and a unique management philosophy that is not tied to a standard benchmark. Amazing they admit the fund's approach has done very well, but they give it a neutral rating for process and people. Typical M*.