Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How To Position Your Portfolio For Rate Hikes

FYI: Is your investment portfolio built to thrive when interest rates rise?
Now is a good time to find out. After years of low borrowing costs, rates appear to be headed higher as the U.S. economy improves, inflation ticks higher and jobs become easier to find.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2017/03/14/rate-hike-investing/99126150/

Comments

• Nice post and makes good reading.
  • edited March 2017
    I'm not doing anything special; when things I want to own come into my buy range I will buy ... and I'm not investing in or avoiding any specific sector per se just b/c of "rising rates."

The article was okay but I detected a whiff of "OMG DO SOMETHING" to the readers. I'm sure CNBC will be full of talking heads this week about how to invest for rising rates, sectors to avoid, etc, etc, etc too. Sorry guys, I own stuff in sectors you recommend avoiding, and you know what? I'm totally ok with that.

The only sector I refuse to own directly are banks and financial companies -- with the possible exception of maybe Lazard, Blackstone, or TRP. Why? I dont' trust them and they treat shareholders as a source of free money.
  • edited March 2017
    Problem is: Conventional wisdom is usually wrong. So I haven't made any changes in anticipation of rising rates. Been tempted for couple weeks to invest a bit in a GNMA fund as a contrarian play, but held off (fortunately). Age is catching up, and so have gotten slightly more conservative over the past year. Candle seems to burn a little faster after 70.