Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

2017 Dogs Of The Dow

FYI: The “Dogs of the Dow” crushed it in 2016, but they’ve gotten off to a slow start in 2017. Below is a table of 2017’s Dogs, which are the 10 highest yielding stocks in the Dow 30 at the start of the year. (Read more about the Dogs of the Dow strategy here.) We also include a list of the 20 non-Dogs along with their YTD performance.

As shown, this year’s Dogs are up an average of 2.44% year-to-date. That compares to an average YTD gain of 6.29% for the 20 non-Dogs. Four of the ten Dogs are in the red so far this year, with Exxon Mobil (XOM) down the most at -9.99%. Just three of the twenty non-Dogs are in the red, with General Electric (GE) down the most at -5.43%.

We’ll provide another update on the “Dogs” strategy in a couple of months, so be sure to check back if you’re interested.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bespokepremium.com/think-big-blog/2017-dogs-of-the-dow/

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Since, I recently sold down some of my equity funds when the next buying dip comes I'm thinking to adding to my mutual fund (FDSAX) that incorporates about one third of its equity allocation to the Dogs of the Dow strategy.

It has not performed well lately as their has been sector rotation movement away from good dividend paying stocks. This is a good fund that was out of step and left behind in the Trump rally.
  • Yes, pretty interesting given recent discussion of DSE_X; SDOG beat CAPE last year, but in this year CAPE has come back to slightly surpass.