Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

go, mississippi vikings

Don't know if there are any hoops junkies in the group like me, but prof Snowball's Augustana men have made the round of Eight in the D3 bball tournament,

http://www.d3hoops.com/playoffs/men/2017/mbb-bracket-2017.pdf

and if next weekend they can get past Hanover, then Williams or Middlebury (unlikely, but have faith), they will hit for the championship Keene or Babson, or Whitman or U of R, where >50y ago I sat the bench (frosh, not even varsity). Go, Vikings, and go, Yellowjackets.

Comments

• Those place-names are so familiar...:)
  • Been in the Rochester area all my life. My wife graduated from the U of R, but I've never attended a Yellow Jacket game sorry to say. Always followed "the Cuse", just down the thruway a bit. Used to LOVE the Big East. Now the ACC! - not as much fun. I admire your more local, "real" student athlete, D3 fan-ship.
  • edited March 2017
    :) Thanks. Cuse is struggling a bit this season. But good ball often, real good --- Boeheim.

I like lower-level ball too, as well as top-level. I grew up with Wittenberg, eons ago (there was no D3, just 'Small College'), back when southern Ohio was the locus of college bball, which as a teen I thought would last forever. OSU and Cincy and Wittenberg. Of course it has morphed many times since then.
    One of the reasons I became whatever quality of shooter I am was that with no 3-pt line no one would follow you way outside, so you could get the shot off, haha.
    https://scontent.fbos1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/12525634_10154015308902790_7555789782729079356_o.jpg?oh=bbed4a6942de5518c20a7dde796e03fb&oe=59686B42

The Augustana game is tonight at 7p and can be viewed online:
    http://www.d3hoops.com/seasons/men/2016-17/ncaa-tournament?date=2017-03-11
  • Vikings up 7 at the half, 40-33. Past performance is no guarantee etc.
  • Augustana moves on to the final four, yay.
  • Badgers play for BIG 10 championship tomorrow !
    Derf
  • Augustana men's bb tonight 7:30, national championship semifinals, against v tough perennial Williams:

http://www.d3hoops.com/seasons/men/2016-17/ncaa-tournament?date=2017-03-17
  • Augies up 8 at halftime, thanks to Wms heave at buzzer (else 11). I assume these are all students of prof Snowball. Augustana unranked and unseeded at reg-season end. Good game, check it out.
  • same victory spread for vikings at the end, so they play babson (mass.) tomorrow night
    women's is same time, and all-mass. (amherst-tufts)
    go, vikings (hard to root against beavers) and jumbos (easy to root against lady jeffs or whatever they go by now)
  • I'm very pleased for the kids. Last year's team had six seniors on it (three or four were aiming for med school, by the way), so this year's team started with one returning starter. The received wisdom was "rebuilding year." But Grey really does have a sort of "next man up" ethos; his argument is that he believes that any player might be called upon at any moment and that the moment you hit the floor, you're expected to play like a champion. Apparently it's a contagious belief, because a lot of the kids (including wide-eyed freshmen like Micah) actually do it.

Attendance in class was down today because a lot of the kids drove themselves 13 hours to be there. It's very Augie that three of the kids who made the drive are football players who are also accounting majors and honor students. The student cheering section shrank a bit this year because of the assumption that we were rebuilding,

But there they are: playing for the national championship for the second time in three years.

The fact that Williams is, academically, the top liberal arts college in the country shouldn't be at all relevant, but it does feel nice to be in the company of schools like Amherst, Babson and Williams.

David
  • About your final thought, David: absolutely right. And those other 3 schools are in my neighborhood. I'm in their neck of the woods. Amherst is closest. Still, can't help but pay attention to my Alma Mater team: Gonzaga. Will they beat Northwestern in the next round? There's talk of them changing Conferences...Only BYU beat them in the regular season. All they had to do was to find a way to shut down one of their 2 three-point shooters. They never could. It was a really sour loss, AT HOME in Spokane. They beat BYU in Utah, earlier. Ute? What's a Ute? Hee hee hee:
  • Augustana down by 10 at half came roaring back but lost to Babson by 1. (Babson is not really in the same league academically as Williams, Amherst, or Tufts.)
    Tufts women are down to Amherst in the first half.
    Zags beat Northwestern with some difficulty.
  • (sigh)

They're good kids.
  • edited March 2017
    yeah, I missed the damn game, phooey (out on assignment, organ recital)
    I was sort of hoping they would beat the locals, actually :)
  • DS, if it matters to you as a Midwesterner, Wisc just knocked out defending champs Nova.
  • edited March 2017
    Yes it was a" sweet "win for the Badgers!!
    Derf