Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Are The 7 Signs Of A Bear Market?

FYI: Wall Street pros say bull markets don’t die of old age. But after eight years of rising stock prices, being on the lookout for signs of a market peak makes good financial sense.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2017/03/07/bear-market-warning-flags/98695888/

Comments

• MJG
    edited March 2017
    Hi Guys,

Jim Stack is a very defensive oriented money manager. He is a constant worrier which is a positive characteristic for a money man. He is a rock-solid, good man.

For years he has assembled and follows a series of Bear market signals. The current status of those signals is that only one has turned yellow suggesting almost no warning of a Bear market? As of February, Stack's assessment was very similar. Here is the Link to that conclusion:

http://www.moneyshow.com/articles/GURU-45616/stack-on-stocks-a-cautious-bull/

Not much has changed to prompt a reversal in his judgment. His largest worry today is the rather extended length of the current positive trend. I interpret his scorecard as no immediate action needed.

Best Wishes
  • edited March 2017
    I have found Jim Stack to be quite useless for investing in the real world. I actually subscribed to his newsletter previously. I found his recommendations confusing and not actionable. More so because I don't buy individual stocks and I can't really understand how he translates his "macro" calls into individual stock recommendations. He does recommend a mutual fund portfolio and I would like 1 person to stand up and say he/she uses it and it has worked.

Each of these guys have these 1 or 2 metrics they keep using again and again to show how things worked in the past. Then when it comes to the present the actions they recommend are not as definitive as they imply they should have been when taken in the past. In the past their actions are "quantitive" and absolute. "If you had done this, this would have happened". In the present they never do that.

And now, Jim Stack is worried about trend? Then I will just use trends, I don't need Jim Stack. Since bull market tops occur over time, the trend will be apparent to all, right? Why do I need anything else?