Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Internet Browser

ron
edited May 2012 in Off-Topic
I have only used Microsoft Internet Explorer since my first computer over 15 years ago. I have heard about Firefox and Chrome as being more reliable with fewer problems. Do you suggest I make a change? If I do, should I first download the new one and then uninstall the old? Any other suggestions? I'm still using an older computer about 8 years old with windows XP on my desktop. Also have a newer laptop with windows 7.

Comments

• Hi ron,
    Not a techie by nature and recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 7, which uses the IE 9 version. The older XP can not run IE9. I suspect you will receive any number of answers as to which browser is better. I am satisfied with IE9 and it continues to have improvements over previous versions. I have not encountered any problems with IE9, although it is not a fair for me to compare from our 2003 XP laptop to our new laptop.
    The hardware and software are worlds apart.
    Lastly, for me; changing browsers is not on my list of things that need to be done.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • beebee
    edited May 2012
    An article related to reliability of firefox...I use it...like it...I still have IE if needed for specific website that don't support firefox

http://download.cnet.com/mozilla-firefox/
  • Hello Ron-
    Here's a couple of things about browsers- first, it is absolutely NOT an "either/or" situation- you can install as many browsers as your heart desires. Actually, it's a pretty good idea to have at least two, as this can be a big help in troubleshooting if a website is not acting the way that you think it should.

If you have more than one, your computer will have a setting, somewhere, that allows you to select one of the installed browsers as your "default" browser, so that browser will automatically be the one to open unless you specifically choose a different one to open on an individual basis.

I've been using FireFox for years on my Mac- in fact I prefer it to the Safari browser which comes with the Mac, Once in a while, for whatever reason, a site will work with one browser but not another. This can happen, for instance if, using browser "A", you have refused to accept a cookie from a particular site. If that site absolutely requires a cookie, browser "A" may no longer be able to access that site, but browser "B" can, if browser "B" has allowed the cookie to be accepted.

My recommendation is to download and install FireFox, give it a spin, then decide if you prefer it to IE. My Mac is too old to use the Chrome browser, so I can't help on that one.

Regards- OJ
  • 10 years ago there was a world of difference between Internet Explorer and Firefox (or Firesomething, for those that remember). Nowadays the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome and Opera are all pretty much on par with each other. There are still some interesting differences between them for those who take the time to learn their unique features, but even then I would not say any one of them is clearly better than the rest.

I use Firefox at home, Chrome at work, Internet Explorer when it works better for a particular website, and occasionally I'll experiment with Opera.
  • Reply to @claimui: Yep, that about says it all!
  • whatever you use, the fr**kin computer @ work still crash if I have 5 or 6 different programs opened @ the same time
  • edited May 2012
    Reply to @johnN: Maybe get an Apple? 12 apps running right now, no prob... and this machine is 7 years old...
  • I use Firefox and Chrome. The main advantage of FireFox (and to some extent Chrome) is various add-ons that you can use. Some addons that I like are Adblock to block most ads, Noscript to block scripts running without your knowledge, Zotero to manage by collection of scientific (and some other) literature.

The main advantage of Chrome is that it is the fastest among all I tried. It is significantly faster than IE and its interface is simple & uncluttered.

I keep IE just in case some website does not work right, but I have used it less than 1% of the time.
  • With more than one browser, is there any problem with memory or conflicts with other programs?
  • I have a laptop with Windows 7 as my main computer. I have both Firefox and IE installed. Firefox is my main browser; I just like it; it just seems faster. I use IE occasionally when Firefox has a problem rendering a web page. For example, I've been having a problem with Firefox when uploading photos to Flickr; in that case I use IE. I have never experienced a conflict with memory or any other programs, even when I have both browsers open at the same time.
  • edited May 2012
    Reply to @ron: Shouldn't be. Keep in mind though, most browsers keep their own lists of the cookies that you either accept or deny. These lists are individual to each browser, and not shared between browsers. What that means is if, for instance, you use a new (different) browser to, say, access your mutual fund account, the mutual fund will likely not recognize you because of the cookie file, and ask you for passwords and all of the usual ID stuff all over again.

This does NOT apply when you upgrade your browser from one version to a newer one. It only applies when you install an entirely new browser. Once the cookie thing settles down you should have no more to worry about. Each browser is a separate stand-alone application, or "program" as we used to call them, and should not cause any problems with either memory or other programs. The only reason that I mention the cookie situation is because each browser's "cookie list" is kept in a separate file, and so might be regarded as a type of "memory" insofar as remembering the cookie data. These files are tiny, and your computer won't even know that they're there, as far as overall memory usage is concerned.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My browser of choice is usually Chrome, these days. I find that it seems just a bit faster and more reliable overall. However, I currently have four installed on my laptop (IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera). This is a year old, low end laptop running Windows 7 and I'm known to actually have two or three browsers running at the same time, with no noticeable problems.

If you have a Windows machine, I would always keep IE as one of my browsers. Many Microsoft websites, including updates, simple will not function under alternate browsers.
  • Ron, in case you didn't know, Chip is the technical mistress (!) for the MFO site. She knoweth whereof she speaketh.
  • edited May 2012
    I don't use any current version of windows. But I do use Firefox, which is stable. IE has a microsoft connection. Chrome has a Google Connection (google has recently changed how they handle privacy, who knows what tweaks they have in their browser). So my choice is Firefox because it is not tied to Microsoft or Google in any way. Plus as everybody else has stated there are some pretty nice add-ons and don't delete IE browser and don't make Firefox or Google your default Browser until you want them to be the default:) (meaning you like it). Choose your add-ons selectively as to what you really need, because the more add-ons the more potential for conflicts in software and more memory used and probably a hit on speed. You can import your bookmarks from IE to Firefox.
  • I knew I could count on this great group of professionals for their guidance and wisdom. I am at ease with all the help. Thank you.
  • Howdy. I use Mozilla Firefox. It seems to attract fewer bugs, crap, viruses, junk, spyware, malware, et al. In addition, you can increase the size of the print you're reading by holding down CONTROL and the + (plus) button at the same time. That's been handy sometimes, for me. Generally, anything Microsoft-ish (like I.E.) is full of minor, annoying, pain-in-the-neck bugs.