Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Paul Katzeff: Fidelity Slashes Online Stock, ETF Commission To $4.95, A 38% Cut

FYI: Fidelity Investments is returning fire in the online brokerage industry's price war. Fidelity, which lays claim to the mantle of largest online brokerage firm with its 17.9 million accounts and $1.7 trillion in total brokerage client assets, on Tuesday slashed its base online retail commissions for U.S. stock and ETF trades to $4.95.

That was a $3 per-trade reduction, or 38%, and Fidelity's first commission cut in 7 years.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investors.com/etfs-and-funds/mutual-funds/fidelity-slashes-online-stock-etf-commission-to-4-95-a-38-cut/

Comments

• Most excellent news. That announcement pretty much seals where my Scottrade accounts will be going.
  • From what I can tell Fidelity doesn't distinguish between market orders and limit or other types of orders, such as market on close or trailing stop-loss orders, but is anyone aware that that isn't true? At this point I only use my Fidelity account for NTF funds that aren't available in my other accounts, and I don't have extra cash there so I can't test other order types, but I would consider using the account for stocks and etfs if all order types were at the lowest cost. Thanks @Ted!!
  • @LLJB - no difference by order type based upon my trading experience.
  • Now if only Fidelity slashes their MF minimums to $100 which I believe both Schwab and TD have done, that would be just perfect.
  • Trading iShares ETF is free of commission. What I like to see to another round of reduction in purchasing Transaction Fee funds to $10 instead of $49.95.

As for individual stocks, I don't trade enough to enjoy to make it worthwhile.