Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Do Republicans And Democrats Drive Different Types Of Cars?

Comments

• There are two obvious (IMHO) regional factors that could be filtered out before analyzing the data. The midwest blue states tend to emphasize American cars, a legacy of the American auto industry. The south/southwest red states (Texas, Oklahoma, but also Louisiana and Arkansas) emphasize trucks, which seems to be a practical choice for some wide open spaces.

Excluding these states might make for a more purely political (as opposed to regional) analysis. Though it probably wouldn't change the results much.
  • Do American-car drivers drive foreign-brand vehicles made in their or neighboring states?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automotive_assembly_plants_in_the_United_States

Don't myself have a lot of Republican friends who drive Priuses, like my family.
  • Tough but most likely inaccurate to generalize such trend. Many imported cars are made in US while many American ones are from Mexico, so the distinction buy American First is unclear.

Also how many of us actually do research for the total cost of ownership of say $50K vehicles and its financing - leasing, credit or straight cash?

As much of outdoor activity we do in our family, we own a Honda minivan instead of a SUV truck. For commuting to and from work, we drive a 20 years old Honda Civic with over 250,000 miles. More importantly every families have their own priority on finance. For us our kids college education come first, follow by our retirement funding, and everything else comes last.
  • edited February 2017
    When I was growing up a friend and I attended a "Young Republicans" meeting after school one day. The speaker (a middle-aged man) explained to us that you could tell the difference between the parties by the cars each drove. Republicans took better care of their cars. They looked clean and shiny. Dems were lazy and drove old beaten-up rusty cars.

Just repeating what I heard growing up in a heavily Republican rural Michigan area during the early 1960s.
    No other message intended. (Well - maybe a very subtle one - actually a couple if you look closely:))
  • such a common charge, pubs favor neatness, discipline, care / respect for possessions and other things too, some OCD about such matters, blah blah

libtards the opposite

yaaaawn