Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Off-topic? Or fund-related? I can't decide. Re: Morningstar

edited February 2017 in Off-Topic
Don't trust those X-Ray numbers. Jesus, that place is like Amateur Hour. The pie-chart tells me I own 48% US equities, 7% foreign, and 38% bonds of all sorts, with 2% "other." I can sorta figure what "other" means.
The numbers tonight somehow struck me as hinky. So, in that other spot where the drill-down as to geographical weightings are shown, I added them up: 12.12% foreign--- that is to say, beyond North America. (USA and Canada, although in school, we learned that Mexico is included in North America. Anyhow, I've come to accept that re: this kinda stuff, Mexico gets thrown into "LATIN America." OK.) ... Morningstar tells me 87.88% of my stuff is in North America, and 48% is in the USA, if by "domestic," they mean USA! That means 39.88% in Canada. (This is equities, NOT bonds, mind you.) Along with 12.12% foreign, it comes to 100% (of equities.) But 7% is not even near 12.12%. ....So much for the value of the premium membership I get through TRP, because I hold X amount in my portfolio with TRP. Harumph. Crud. Can you say, "unreliable," boys and girls? I just KNEW you COULD.

Comments

• The 7% foreign in your first breakdown is a percentage of your total portfolio. Given that only 55% of your portfolio is equity (48% + 7%), that means that your foreign equity as a percentage of equity is 7%/.55 = 12.72%. Okay, some rounding error, but reasonably close.

Likewise, that 48% of your total portfolio in the US means that 48%/.55 = 87.27% of your equity is in the US. The remainder of the 87.88% could be rounding error, or it could be Nanook hunting furs up in Canada (small cap).
  • Thanks, @msf. I think that's helpful. In any case, their labeling needs to be more precise and specific. I'm not a professional money guy, but I know how to read and work with simple sums. If I don't "get" it, then they are just being sloppy. Again, I say: "Harumph."
  • The first table (that contained the 7% figure) is labeled "asset allocation". I think that most people here understand AA to be a breakdown along the lines of cash, bonds, and stocks.

The second table (that contained the 87.88% figure) is labeled "Total Exposure (% of stocks).

As always, it helps to first Read The Fine Manual (RTFM):
    http://portfolio.morningstar.com/instantxray/datadef.html
  • ooh, thanks, a new and better xlation for RTFM, said the tech writer