Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Is The Value Of An Advisor? Vanguard Totes Up 'Advisor's Alpha'

"Summary

Vanguard estimates that the value of using an advisor is around 3% additional net annual gains for the investor.

Does this estimate make sense?

Do you need an advisor?"

The answer appears to be, it depends. (Please note that the Vanguard paper cited in the article was written for advisors. This article is his thoughts on the matter.)

By David Van Knapp at SeekingAlpha:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4045415-value-advisor-vanguard-totes-advisors-alpha?uprof=46&isDirectRoadblock=false

Comments

• Hi Mark,

I like to access an originating source when available, and I did so. The Vanguard report is rather lengthy so I have not yet read it. I'm not highly motivated to do so because the article is very self serving for Vanguard advisors and because of one objective stated on the opening page. It says:

".... the Vanguard Advisor’s Alpha concept in 2001, we outlined how advisors could add value, or alpha, through relationship-oriented services such as providing cogent wealth management via financial planning, discipline, and guidance, rather than by trying to outperform the markets."

So the authors did not attempt to make a case for their (Vanguard's) active managers selections over their Vanguard passive product offerings. They were developing an argument for financial planning and for client discipline and patience. That's a real world practical problem that many of us endure with often severe portfolio penalties.

Of course, MFOers don't suffer from those shortcomings!

Thanks for the reference.

Best Wishes,
  • They were developing an argument for financial planning and for client discipline and patience. That's a real world practical problem that many of us endure with often severe portfolio penalties.

Of course, MFOers don't suffer from those shortcomings!
    MJG, I think you are just trying to be politically correct with that statement. In my opinion from many of the posts I've read here on MFO, I believe there are MFOers that would benefit from adviser advice and discipline. I'm sure, I know, I was one of them for many years.