Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Yeah, but for same price try Ainsley Bray Sherry OR Satuernes.
  • I just bookmarked Ainsley Brae.:)
  • edited February 2017
    Okay, I can swear by Sherry and Satuernes Cask. Oak - not very good if you drink neat. Burgundy - haven't tried but do have a bottle.

Please note you can get Ainsley Brae anywhere from $21 to $499 (this is their 46 year old, I kid you not). I have picked up Sherry e.al for anywhere from $26 - $29 for 750 ml. Just something for you to keep in mind before you buy.

McCallan (sherry of course) is my preferred whiskey but it's gone up in price as much as $49 for a 12 year old, so I'm kind of miffed about it.
  • beebee
    edited February 2017
    Ever think of being a Scotch Advisor? Requires a daily review of both the Scotch Market (mostly Pubs) and obviously the Scotch Tape (mostly Bonds)...Slainte!
  • Slainte! I was poking around last night, and this Irishman also remembered that Bushmills has been a pleasant experience, too. I happened upon a review of the (single malt) 10-year, and that one is highly recommended. I'm not against other Irish Whiskies. But they make Bushmills up on the Antrim coast. Spectacular scenery there. Lovely memories. County Antrim is right next to the County Down, by the way.:)
    http://cocktails.about.com/od/Irish-Whiskey-Reviews/ss/Bushmills-Irish-Whiskey-Reviews.htm#step4

• Now you done it...I had to drift away:

• edited February 2017
    bee said:

Ever think of being a Scotch Advisor? Requires a daily review of both the Scotch Market (mostly Pubs) and obviously the Scotch Tape (mostly Bonds)...Slainte!

Would need to learn a little more before I could officially do that. Would be a dream job:-D

I think I can educate people on the distillation process. There is more science there than art. It is the aging process where the art comes in. The former can be improved by practice, the latter is much much harder.

I am just glad Crash enjoys, truly enjoys Scotch like I do, and really appreciate the opportunity to compare notes.

Now regarding the "scotch tape", I'm forever bond challenged so definitely not. Besides like I've mentioned many times, 007 aka James Bond does not know squat. Stirred tastes infinitely better than shaken.
  • bee said:

Would need to learn a little more before I could officially do that. Would be a dream job:-D

I think I can educate people on the distillation process. There is more science there than art. It is the aging process where the art comes in. The former can be improved by practice, the latter is much much harder.

I am just glad Crash enjoys, truly enjoys Scotch like I do, and really appreciate the opportunity to compare notes.

Now regarding the "scotch tape", I'm forever bond challenged so definitely not. Besides like I've mentioned many times, 007 aka James Bond does not know squat. Stirred tastes infinitely better than shaken.
    :)
  • edited February 2017
    You know I always wanted to take the "Tour of the Glens". It used to be a 3 day affair. You fly into Scotland, visit all the Glens, sample the whiskey at each and back in the states. Perfect for a long weekend.

By the time I got around to looking into actually doing that the cost has become so prohibitive and there aren't as many options. However would still like to do it some day. One moment you are in the highlands sipping whiskey that's easier to age because of evaporation in and out of the casks at the higher altitude, while at another, you are at the islays, where it is aged on casks on barges out in the sea using the rocking of the waves to have the same effect.

Close your eyes and imagine it Crash, but please don't actually crash. Why did my parent's leave Birmingham when I was 6 months old I (sometimes) will never know...
  • Glad I initiated this thread! Sounds like a great idea. I've come rather close to Scotland, across the water, but never physically there. As I recall, we could see Rathlin Island (No. Ireland) and over past it, to the Mull of Kintyre, from where we stood. Could that be? I wonder if that's realistic. Mull of Kintyre is 15.5 miles from Rathlin. I misunderstood, earlier. I had thought Rathlin was in Scotland.

Your descriptions are sure interesting!:)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rathlin_Island#/media/File:Wfm_rathlin.jpg

• just get to kinlochewe, hike around, drive to tain, drink some, head home, short and all good