Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FOSCX or other small cap fund

Has anyone had any thoughts on FOSCX since David's excellent write up, here: http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/2016/12/tributary-small-cap-foscx/

I am planning to finally bail on BRUSX, bridgeway's microcap quant fund, and am looking for an alternative. This is for a tax sheltered account.

In the small cap space I already own TDVFX but am nervous about adding to it after such a huge run-up.

So I owned one of the very best and one the very worst small value funds last year... Of course, as soon as I sell BRUSX, it will knock it out of the park like it used to.

Comments

• edited January 2017
    I continue to like the low volatility approach, which history also likes. We continue to like and own XSLV in the SC space. And XMLV and SPHD look good in the MC and LC spaces.

Kevin
  • You're a wise man @kevindow. XSLV had been on my list.
  • small caps have had a heck of a year! I have a position in foscx. I think it is hard to add at these levels unless in an absolute return type fund a la ICMAX
  • edited January 2017
    Take a look at MSCFX from Mairs and Power. It hasn't failed me since my entry in the Spring of 2012. I scored with it in 2016, again. And as Dizzy Dean would say: I "slud" that profit into MAPOX on 01/01/2017. I did not want to look back and figure that I SHOULDA slud, and not do it, and be OUT by a heifer's step. I don't always remember to do it, but: "always take profits early." (Zurich Axioms.) This profit-transfer to the bigger balanced fund (MAPOX) is an annual tradition--- so far. :)
    Slide right in to the 1hour, 20 minute and 35 second spot in this great old film, and you'll hear what I mean. I'm very confidential that you will. (Just less than a month and a half until Spring Training!) "THE PRIDE OF ST. LOUIS:"
  • .....SHIT. All that work, and I forgot MSCFX is closed. At least, I hope you all will find some entertainment value, above.
  • My vote goes to FMIMX or the institutional version FMIUX.
  • QRSVX is a solid pick also. I have been in FMIMX for about ten years now
  • I have liked WEMMX for a long time.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Agree, @Maurice. VSCIX is in wife's 403b. Very happy.