Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Record High Home Prices And Growing Consumer Confidence .No Fear of the Unknown?

edited December 2016 in Off-Topic
Index of Consumer Expectations 89.5 1Mo +5.0% 1Yr+8.2%
University of Michigan said its consumer sentiment led to the highest level of the Sentiment Index since January 2004....a record 18 percent of respondents "spontaneously mentioned the expected favorable impact of Trump's policies on the economy." Consumers anticipated that a stronger economy would create more jobs, with the share expecting higher income rising to a one-year high.Needless to say, the overall gain in confidence was based on anticipated policy changes, with specific details as yet unknown. Such favorable expectations could help jump-start growth before the actual enactment of policy changes...To be sure, nearly as many consumers referred unfavorably to anticipated changes in economic policies
http://www.sca.isr.umich.edu
Real Estate Weekly: Record High Home Prices And Consumer Confidence, REIT Rally Pauses
Bottom Line from Hoya Capital Real Estate
The real estate economic data released this week was very solid, but we have not yet seen the full effects of higher mortgage rates. We expect home price gains to moderate slightly in 2017.
There is still significant policy uncertainty heading into the new administration. A significant overhaul of the tax code could potentially alter the economics of home ownership, but at this time, we expect any changes in this regard to be minimal. A healthy US housing market, the largest asset class in the world, is critical for economic stability and growth.

Home Prices Rise
The FHFA released their home price data showing a 6.2% YoY rise in home prices, in line with expectations. It's important to point out that home prices are reported on a nominal basis, before subtracting inflation
/>http://seekingalpha.com/article/4032479-real-estate-weekly-record-high-home-prices-consumer-confidence-reit-rally-pauses

Comments

• edited December 2016
    Well, well, well... Not to change the subject, but just a point of comparison---which has been mentioned before: In Canada, home prices are utterly ridiculous. And they don't grant a mortgage-interest tax deduction. I'm not talking about Vancouver and Toronto and Montreal. I'm talking about tiny homes with postage-stamp lawns in "no-account" towns like Kimberley and Windermere and Grand Forks. All in B.C. Listings for such homes run C$328,000..... Size-wise and lot-wise, lots of them compare to the home I'm in. And you can bet your bippy that when THIS albatross eventually gets sold, no one is going to see the US equivalent of C$328,000.00 from the transaction. It's INSANE.
  • @Crash- Since when is sanity a requirement for investment?

Have a good one!
  • Sounds like some European countries too - expensive small houses and high property taxes.
  • I'm not sure where property taxes came in. Crash did mention mortgage interest deductions (none in Canada). How changing that deduction could affect US real estate prices was implied in TSP_Transfer's real estate post (referring to tax code changes). Perhaps that tax code mention suggested real estate taxes?

The towns Crash mentioned don't seem to have high property tax rates. I used a calculator here to estimate the rates. Note that it asks for assessed value, which can lower than actual value, so the effective rates could be lower than what I'm showing below. (I used 300K value to get tax amount, and converted to percentage.)

Kimberley: 0.859%
    Grand Forks: 0.976%

Windermere: This town's so small that it barely registers on google. 1259 people in 2006, according to Wikipedia. No tax data.

To put these BC rates in perspective, I looked for US rates.

I can't swear to the accuracy of the site below, but the figures it's giving sound about right: US effective tax rate (i.e. rate on actual value) of 1.19%, with New Jersey's being the highest at 2.29%. It says that Michigan is not far behind (7th) at 1.83%.
    https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-jersey-property-tax-calculator
  • More Unknown
    Interview with a Bond Guy often cited by Gundlach
    Bond expert: Markets will be tough to stomach in 'great unknown' 2017
    Gail MarksJarvis
    Chicago Tribune
    James Bianco, 54, is known for his outspoken voice and independent views on the economy and markets — especially the bond market. His research, written at the firm he began in 1998 in Chicago, is followed by professional investors throughout the world — from hedge fund to endowment fund managers.
    With people losing money in typically safe U.S. Treasury bonds and hoping to hold onto their unusually large 14 percent gains in the Dow Jones Industrial Average this year, individuals are on edge. They want to know if it's time to be careful of stocks, and whether bonds will continue to inflict losses.
    James Bianco, president of Bianco Research, is telling professionals who invest money for clients to expect a nerve-wracking early 2017. He thinks both stocks and bonds will be tough to stomach amid significant volatility next year as "we go into the great unknown," he said.
    There is an expectation that with Trump as president, wages will go up, that there will be more hiring and a better economy. People expect infrastructure spending, lower taxes and less regulation, but the devil is in the details.
    I don't know how Trump can deliver unskilled jobs in an economy of robotics. The future of manufacturing will go to Purdue college graduates programming robots. If the hope is to get a good-paying eight-hours-a-day job in a factory, you might get it for a while before it goes to Mexico. But even the $3-an-hour jobs in Mexico will only be temporary until they are replaced by robot
    At this point we don't know who Trump is or how it will turn out. There is a risk for stock investors if Trump doesn't deliver. As long as we think he's moving toward the goal, it will be OK. But the moment he seems to be stalling the rally could be in trouble.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-bianco-research-james-bianco-exec-qa-1225-biz-20161223-story.html
  • Interesting link, @TSP_Transfer, thanks,
  • This thread gets more and more interesting. Thanks for the work, y'all.