Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Managed Futures Funds Gaining Traction Among Advisers

FYI: Investment advisers plan to increase their allocation to managed futures in 2017, according to a survey taken by Altegris Advisers at the InvestmentNews Alternatives Conference in Miami last month.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20161216/FREE/161219946?template=printart

M* Managed Futures Fund Returns:
http://news.morningstar.com/fund-category-returns/managed-futures/$FOCA$13.aspx

Comments

• Whenever I see managed futures coming back into fashion, it tells me to tread carefully -- ie that people are getting a bit exuberant and that the next market 'top' may be coming into view. Not that I like managed futures myself - if I want to use futures, I will own and manage them myself!
  • edited December 2016
    FWIW I own the TFS fund. I'm just going to hold and as always not reinvest distributions. I've held their Market Neutral fund too now for a while. This was my new money NOT going to Hussman.

I would also very much like to manage my future, but people make it so hard...
  • edited December 2016
    Wow! A manager of a managed-futures fund produces a survey which might spark interest in its fund... Yeah, no conflict of interest there...

Altegris' managed-futures fund (EVONX) is rated 5-star by M*, meaning it has among the best historical records in the managed-futures category. But let's take a look at that record. It commenced operating late 2011. So full year returns as follows:

2012...(3.17)
    2016...(-0.33) [through 12/16/16]

The above returns are net of 1.94% expenses (ouch!)

My reaction? "meh". One "super" year. 4 X "ehh" years. The sequencing/size of the returns almost looks like one might "earn" at one of the gaming tables in Vegas. Makes one wonder what the 3-star rated fund returns look like in this category...

Others may be interested, not I. When considering alternatives, I am looking for something that delivers mostly consistent, positive returns. I'm not looking for outsized returns, but consistent (-positive) ones. If an 'alternative' vehicle can't do that, well, there is fixed-income for ballast & income & equities for growth (with risk). In fact, old, reliable Vanguard Wellesley delivers more consistent, positive returns, thus a "smoother ride", and larger 5-year trlg returns.

p.s. - looks like Gundlach is one of the managers.