Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Blue Collar Billionaire's Cabinet

https://washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/30/donald-trump-is-assembling-the-richest-administration-in-modern-american-history/?utm_term=.7481a27fae04
They'll figure out what middle America needs. Particularly funny I find is: "Betsy DeVos, a Michigan billionaire who was named as Trump’s education secretary, is the daughter-in-law of Richard DeVos, the co-founder of Amway."
Perhaps the family behind America's largest pyramid scheme will help design the nation's curriculum standards for civics and ethics classes. Or maybe to fund the schools we could have each child selling Mary Kay cosmetics, Herbalife nutraceuticals, and Amway laundry detergent. The second graders will sell to the first graders, the first graders to the kindergarteners and the fifth graders will keep the revenues and use them to buy text books on intelligent design and copies of the Art of the Deal. I look forward to a glorious privatization of all things educational.

Comments

• edited December 2016
    @Ted The thing is I don't disagree with you, but Marc Rich wasn't setting policy for our nation's school system. I've never claimed the Clintons were angels, but I do find it funny how the wife of a man with a somewhat checkered past can somehow be blamed for all of his misdeeds, including the sexual misconduct against that wife. How many people would find it acceptable if their neighbors told them: "It's your fault your spouse cheated on you and then lied about it under oath?" It is once again this false moral equivalency you are presenting--the pardoning of a bad man unrelated to the governance of our nation by the spouse of a presidential candidate versus the actual president packing his actual cabinet governing the nation with questionable characters.
  • @Lewis Richard De Vos is not becoming Education Secretary, his daughter-in-law, Besty De Vos was nominated. I guess you believe in guilt by relationship ! Please spare us the reading of further post regarding the Trump administration. Nothing Trump could ever do would make a left-winger like you happy !!!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited December 2016
    @Ted Fair enough. I await Ms. DeVos' glorious decisions.
  • edited December 2016
    >> Nothing Trump could ever do would make a left-winger like you happy !!!

Haha, you hope it is only leftwingers, not all the chumps and marks who voted for him.
  • edited December 2016
    Mrs. De Vos has a sufficient history in the state of Michigan to be concerned about the future of public schools.

But since her brother is Erik Prince, founder of Blackwater, I guess we know where the contracts for school security will be headed.