Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PRLAX TRP Latin America: further to fall?

What about Cuba? Come January, shall I make a 90 day in-and-out trade in PRLAX?

Comments

• I have owned it through thick and more recently thin times.

Some here were agile enough to time this fund over its most recent uptick.

I believe thick Cuban cigars (with a Connecticut wrap) would be a nice addition to this fund.

Cuba may be more on the receiving end of multinational business as they develop the necessary infrastructure ...for hotels, ports, entertainment venues, roads, communication... before internal consumerism drives the economy.
  • edited November 2016
    I haven't followed this stick of dynamite (PRLAX) since I took a 30% quick profit April 15.
    Nice run-up early in year.

Those kinds of opportunities don't come along often. I couldn't recommend the fund for the average investor. Can double one year and loose 70% the next.

That said, these Latin American funds are very highly cyclical and the up/down cycles tend to persist for a number of years. Today's 7-8% jump in crude is certain to push them up near-term.

EM has been hammered by a number of factors lately - especially strong dollar and speculation that DT will impose trade barriers making it harder for the EMs to export. I think that's a reasonable short term outlook. But I agree with M Möbius that EMs will do relatively well over the next several years. However, I wouldn't invest in a single region.
  • However, I wouldn't invest in a single region.
    Hank, prudent advise I think. Anything else might be called gambling.
  • edited November 2016
    I appreciate the responses. Some years ago, I did grab a good profit from PRLAX. So, I was just wondering. I'm down to 8% foreign equities. SFGIX is my only foreign and EM equity fund at the moment, apart from Real Estate. My bonds have been behaving as ballast when I DON'T want them to do that. Double-edged sword. 39% of portf. is in bonds of all sorts, and bonds are lately dragging on my most solid portf. anchors: PRWCX and MAPOX. Some funds will pay monthly dividend overnight: end of the month. Outside retirement tax-advantaged portf, I've been d-c-a-ing into electric utility, PNM. It got hammered today. My teeny-tiny slice in COP shot upward today. Almost back to even-Stephen. I might just hold is for longer, now, with the OPEC and Russia agreement today. Connecticut wrappers? That stuff grows just a few miles south. I'm just inside the Mass. border.:) There's a big difference between the two, too: in Connecticut, there's actual PAVEMENT.;)