Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Amercian Funds

Folks,

I am exploring the possibility of investing in American Funds now that they have introduced no-load shares. As am I trying to do my due diligence, I came across the following statement from the website of Capital Group "The Capital Group companies manage equity assets through three investment groups. These groups make investment and proxy voting decisions independently...."

After doing some digging in the fund prospectuses, I found out that the name of the adviser company is Capital Research and Management and the names of the three investment groups are 1) Capital World Investors, 2) Capital Research Global Investors, and 3) Capital International Investors. I think that these three investment groups are separate legal entities, but I am not sure. There does not appear much information on them, other than that they appear to file 13F reports separately.

My question is: why is the adviser structured into three equity investment groups? And why are these groups structured to make independent decisions? I have not seen a structure like this before, but could be wrong. Perhaps other mutual fund companies are using similar structures.

I would appreciate any insights that any of you might have. I find this very confusing.

Thanks,
Alban

Comments

• edited November 2016
    Each AF manager is responsible for a given 'sleeve' of the portfolio based on their expertise and have the discresion to act independently of the other managers. (I think ... think .... they only really compare notes when there may be the potential for a major overlap in holdings b/c several managers all like the same stock.) But that independent approach is the major 'feature' or 'attraction' of AF's conservative reputation for fund management.

I'm not sure how these 3 firms relate to the overall AF environment, and I'm not sure my comment helps, but hey it works, because I've been a happy AF fundowner for the past 10+ years.
  • We've had substantial fund investments with American for over thirty years, and have generally been quite satisfied. I knew that Capital Research and Management was their advisory arm, but didn't realize that CR&M had multiple "subadvisors". Like you, I haven't gotten very far finding any detail on that, but "International", "Global", and "World" sure seems a little redundant, to say the least. Maybe they should have "Universal" and "Intergalactic" too.

Why not try a question directly to American Funds and ask them? If nothing else that will give you an idea of how they communicate with customers. While I do all of the account management myself directly using their website, the few times that I've needed to communicate with them I did it through our sales rep. If you get any more info, please let us know.
  • I don't think this article helps too much, but here's a 2013 article describing Capital Group's reorganization into multiple groups:
    http://www.fa-mag.com/news/capital-group-will-restructure-based-on-investment-objectives-13699.html

Ignoring for the moment that little of the verbiage in the article or prospectus is particularly clear, what I would have guessed is: many mutual fund companies have multiple equity teams where each team manages multiple funds. Those teams tend to be theme based, e.g. large cap, small cap, international, etc. While the names of Capital's equity groups don't suggest that, it is at least consistent with the FA article, that talks about organizing these groups around particular investing objectives.

Regarding AF having "now" introduced no-load shares. They've had no-load shares for many years. What changed is that you're now finding a way to purchase them. But no-load R4 and R5 shares for retirement plans have been around for what seems like forever, with R6 and R5E being added more recently. The F share class (renamed F-1 in 2008) has been around for a couple of decades.

You can get F-2, and sometimes even cheaper R5 or R6 shares through HSA accounts. For example, the HSA Authority offers RERFX.
  • Thanks, all! I think this structure is different. I think that the three equity investment groups are at the level of sub-advisors, which could explain why they file separate 13F reports. Also, the names of the three investment groups do not suggest a separation by investment objective. I think that this is perhaps a way to better manage team dynamics (i.e., keep equity research teams smaller) and continue to scale up (it appears AF have never closed a fund). I am still surprised by the fact that AF do not articulate the reasons for such a structure. More transparency would be useful for financial advisors, who would be able to better explain to clients what sets American Funds apart.
  • Hi, Alban. This is not related to your question, but I am wondering what your plan for buying American Funds is. Given the options available to you, such as T. Rowe Price, Vanguard and many other no-load fund companies, I am simply curious why you have selected American Funds. American Funds has for decades been the go-to company for the commission reps and their broker-dealers, paying big bucks to get on the b-d's approved list, where the reps get a larger cut of the commission. They added B and C-class shares with their very expensive fees and back-end loads to further hang on to commission reps. Their introduction of F-class shares came about 10 years ago when they realized they were being shut out of many fee-only accounts established by RIAs. Now, they are coming out with a no-load retail share class, but only after the DOL rule pretty much kills the rollover business of the commission reps. American Funds are a huge marketing machine, very astute about where the future of sales is heading. The addition of no-load products is simply another marketing strategy. They have some great management teams. But they are even better at determining where their next dime of income will originate. Why else would they have 18-20 share classes of the same funds? American Fund is not alone in their marketing history, but no other fund company has managed to create a fund class for every sales opportunity like the folks in Los Angeles.
  • @BobC, thanks! I agree that they are good at marketing, but at the same time they appear to be good at investing. My interest lies primarily in understanding what features in their investment processes are responsible for their good performance and whether those features can continue to be scaled up (especially now that they opened the door to retail investors). With that information I could also look for other fund companies that share those characteristics that are responsible for the success of AF. I was simply looking to unpack the mysterious structure consisting of layers of sub-advisors/equity investment groups and multiple portfolio managers.
  • @Alban: I agree with BobC, althougth they have some good funds, they are no Vanguard, Fidelity, or T.Rowe Price
  • msf
    edited November 2016
    "Their introduction of F-class shares came about 10 years ago when they realized they were being shut out of many fee-only accounts established by RIAs."

Most load funds enable brokers to sell their funds without loads so long as the brokers collect fees in some other way. Often, funds will simply waive their loads for fee-based (aka "wrap") accounts. This has been going on since the last century, not just the past decade.

American Funds did this until 2002. Read an older prospectus. It says "Investments made by investors in certain qualified fee-based programs ... may also be made with no sales charge and are not subject to a CDSC".

Read a current prospectus: "You may generally open an account and purchase Class F
    shares only through fee-based programs of investment dealers .... These intermediaries typically charge ongoing fees for services they provide. Intermediary fees are not paid by the fund and normally range from .75% to 1.50% of assets annually, depending on the services offered."

Pre-2002, post-2002, same intermediaries, same charges by American Funds. Only the letter attached to the shares changed - from A to F.

So it doesn't look introducing F shares changed anything substantial.

I do agree that, to use a word now in vogue, the "optics" changed. American Funds seems to like the unix philosophy of KISS as much as unix zealots. By that I mean they take it to the extreme. (See, e.g. Rob Pike's "Cat -v Considered Harmful", advocating simple separate programs rather than multiple options on a given program.)

American Funds seems to have taken this approach to heart - instead of having class A shares with different load options (beyond breakpoint pricing), it separated out a no load option into a new share class. Instead of having different options for different uses (retirement plans, 529 plans, retail purchases), it has different groups of shares (R shares, 529 shares, letter shares).

Timing suggests that the introduction of the F shares was a response to the Merrill Lynch Rule (1999-2007) facilitating wrap accounts without holding their reps to a fiduciary standard, but that's purely circumstantial and I can't show a direct link.
  • A finer detail on F-class shares. The original F class shares (now F-1) include a 12b-1 fee. These trailing fees (as well as any "fee offset" arrangement) "do not meet the NAPFA definition of Fee-Only practice."
    https://www.napfa.org/membership/OurStandards.asp

(Anyone remember the 100% No-Load Mutual Fund Council? That vanished about the time American Funds brought out class F shares. It seems the trend at the time was not as simple and "pure" one might wish it were.)
  • Thanks, @msf! You understand the distribution side of the business very well.
    On the investment management side, would there be any way to find more about the three independent equity investment groups that they use? They seem to be more like sub-advisors, but is hard to find more information. My guess is that they divided their equity research group to optimize group interactions and this could help them scale up.

• msf I appreciate your unix reference. :)
  • I can tell you that when an American Fund rep visited us when the F-class shares were introduced, he said they wanted to penetrate what they saw as a growing RIA landscape, access fee-based accounts (that term is such a crock), with lower-expense options. Unfortunately the expenses for many F-class shares are higher now than they were ten years ago.
  • Confirming your statement about AF that they're marketing experts. Didn't matter whether the F shares did anything new, they were sold as "new and improved".

I took a quick look at EuroPacific Growth. The first prospectus in which class F shares appear (3/15/2001) shows expenses of 0.46% (management) + 0.25% (12b-1) + 0.21% (other) for a total of 0.92%.

The prospectus from ten years ago (6/1/2006) shows expenses of 0.43% + 0.25% + 0.16% for a total of 0.84%.

The current prospectus (6/1/2016) has class F-1 figures of 0.42% + 0.25% + 0.19% for a total of 0.86%.

It is true that the F (now called F-1) shares tend to run a few basis points higher than class A shares. The difference is entirely in "other expenses", and I've always guessed that's because the share classes hit slightly different target audiences and the servicing costs are slightly different, though not enough to complain about. Maybe expenses have gone up in the past ten years for some other AF funds. Maybe even most of them. But not for my limited sample of 1.
  • @Alban - I don't know why AF created fully owned subsidiaries. Maybe it gives them more legal protection? What I can offer is their 2012 SEC filing where they requested exemption from some rules so that they could run their funds this way:
    https://www.sec.gov/rules/ic/2012/ic-30150.pdf

In that filing, they say (item #6) that from the investor perspective, "the roles of the Adviser and Wholly Owned Sub-Adviser(s) with respect to the Fund will be substantially equivalent to the roles of an investment adviser and its portfolio-manager employees under a more traditional structure". Exactly what you described. So from the perspective of running the funds, I don't think this structure has any effect whatsoever.

However, one of the exemptions they sought was to avoid reporting how much these subadvisors were paid (under the rationale that, hey, it's all one big Capital Group business, and investors don't care about the internal workings); that's in #5.

Likewise, they don't need to get shareholder approval if a fund switches from one internal subadvisor to another. That's #4.

Finally, here's the SEC response, approving these exemptions:
    https://www.sec.gov/rules/ic/2012/ic-30173.pdf
  • edited December 2016
    Oppenheimer does this all the time. Don't know if this clause exists in all their Prospectuses, but it's certainly in many. The following excerpt is from the Prospectus for their Flexible Strategies fund. The same setup (Cayman Islands Subsiderary) was used with my Commodities Total Return fund (QRAAX) before it crashed and burned last spring. Hmm ... I haven't seen anything like this from my other fund houses. I supposed in the past that with Oppenheimer it was either (1) a tax-dodge or (2) some way of their limiting liability from disappointed investors (of which they've had many). Just a guess.

(Excerpt) "ABOUT THE FUND’S WHOLLY-OWNED SUBSIDIARY. The Subsidiary is an exempted company incorporated with limited liability under the laws of the Cayman Islands and is overseen by its own board of directors. The Fund is the sole shareholder of the Subsidiary and it is currently expected that shares of the Subsidiary will not be sold or offered to other investors. If, at any time in the future, the Subsidiary proposes to offer or sell its shares to any investor other than the Fund, shareholders will receive 60 days’ prior notice of such offer or sale and this prospectus will be revised accordingly."
    https://www.transamericaannuities.com/media/PDF/MerrillLynch/Prospectus/IRA_Annuity/Oppenheimer-Flexible-Strategies-Fund.pdf

PS: Oppenheimer's operations in many respects offer a stark contrast with those of T. Rowe Price. I've owned a few class A shares there for near 20 years. I'm planning on dumping them in a few more years. I converted to a Roth in early '15 and prefer to leave that money with them until the 5-year holding period is met (just my intent - not a requirement).
  • @Alban
    The only time I have used American Funds in the last 30 years is with a broker, but I understood then that they were expensive. I NEVER did any better than I would have done in an index fund.

To combat the "passive revolution" they are making a huge push to convince the public that splitting the funds into sleeves will enable them to be nimble and risk conscious.

You have to ask yourself, "why wouldn't I be better off in an Index Fund?" It is almost impossible for any manger running billions ( AWSHX has 84 Billion to move) to beat an index, over a significant period of time. How can you move even 5 billion dollars around in a couple of weeks? So why try?

I have a broker friend who desperately wants me to give him my money to put into American funds.. in the next breath he crows about how much money he has with them and all the bennies that he gets because of this. Where does this money for his free trips etc come from? you and me!

Look at AWSHX over ten years... VFNIX beats it by 5% . VFNIX lost 4% more in 2008 but you are still ahead because of the fees. M* lists AWSHX is a great choice for "risk adverse" investors. Why? Because it lost 33% vs 37% in 2008?

If you want to watch good mangers at work, do some digging into some small funds here at MFO and put some money with someone whose previous results and focus fits with yours... or even better, choose a fund that is totally opposite what you would do because those funds will diversify your investments.

even 0.58% adds up over the years
  • @Hank - that's different from what American Funds does. What Oppenheimer is doing seems more like a variant of - take your pick - a master-feeder relationship or a fund-of-fund relationship.

In those arrangements, the investor's fund invests some or all of its money in one or more other funds as black boxes. Not much different from, say, a large cap fund investing some of its money in Berkshire Hathaway or GE.

In contrast, an American Fund hires one of its subsidiaries to manage the fund's assets. That's like VWELX hiring Wellington Management Company LLP to manage its assets. Admittedly Wellington isn't a Vanguard subsidiary (though it often feels that way:-))

If one (sma3) wants to talk about a company that uses sleeves to manage capacity, look no further than Vanguard. American Funds delegates the management of each fund to a single company, and that company uses multiple managers. In contrast, Vanguard often delegates the management of its funds to multiple companies, each of which in turn divvies up the macro sleeves into micro sleeves.

See, e.g. VWNFX - five management companies, eleven managers in all, if I'm counting correctly. http://financials.morningstar.com/fund/management.html?t=VWNFX&region=usa&culture=en_US
  • edited December 2016
    msf said:

What Oppenheimer is doing seems more like a variant of - take your pick - a master-feeder relationship or a fund-of-fund relationship.

(Thanks for the choice - Something to munch on):)
    Yep - not the same. But the wholly owned subsiderary angle caught my attention.

The Cayman Isles have some kind of tax appeal. Pretty sure Sir John used them as a tax haven of sorts when managing Templeton.

• @msf, thanks for sharing the SEC filing. Good find! It is puzzling that AF would use wholly owned subadvisors, when they are practically part of the advisor. Is this perhap a way to get around the restriction of not owning more than 10% of a single stock as per 1940 ICA? This could explain the language used by AF that the three investment groups make independent investment and voting decisions.
  • Why do we have a thread dedicated to talking about this crappy shop?
  • edited December 2016
    For what it is worth ...

Although some might think of American Funds as a "crappy shop" ... not me. I have been one of their investors since my teenage years (now in my late 60's) and I have found their investment services, through the years, to be of good value which has enhanced my financial posture. I am sure there are other fine investment shops as well as not all my money is with American Funds.

And, I have enjoyed reading the recent postings, in this thread, about American Funds and their use of their sleeve management system. Something that I have adopted, of sorts, within my own portfolio.

Please keep those post coming ... As I keep learning more about their marketing and investment techniques with associated expenses. Seems, their success provides something for others to write about stating their views with some these being of good nature.

Will I keep investing in American Funds? You can bet your sweet xxx, I will! From my perspctive they are a good large cap value shop that also offer some good hybrid and asset allocation funds.

Old_Skeet

• I read somewhere that AF are planning to come out with F shares without the 12B fee in January. We'll see. I would be interested in investing in these shares of Income Fund of America and/or Capital Income Builder since I am near retirement, and would like to develop an income stream. The ERs are pretty low for being actively managed. I already own a good chunk of Wellesley, and am looking at other funds for income.
  • AF has had F-2 shares with no 12b-1 fees since 2008. You're referring to F-3 shares.
    http://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/29858/american-funds-files-for-new-share-class-to-cut-fund-expense-ratios-f-3-shares

Great marketing (agree 100% with BobC on this aspect of AF). Don't think it will significantly affect TCO (total cost of ownership) - I expect it simply to shift costs.

As stated by AF's head of distribution in the article linked to in that other MFO thread:
    "This doesn't mean that all of a sudden there will be a significant decline in what's charged to the investor ..."