Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Chuck Jaffe: How The Popularity Of Gift Cards Underscores America’s Loss Of Civility

Comments

• I have to agree. Kids give kids birthday cards, especially girls, I get that. I would rather not receive a gift at all if it is a gift card, and I don't want to give gift card. Give a gift receipt if recipient does not like it.

Giving someone a gift card is bad mouthing someone online because you don't know that person. It is "easy". If I care for a person to give him/her a gift I need to take the time, search for gift, try to find out what could be useful to that person. That to me is "value". I have not, and will never get rid of a proper gift anyone has given me. I cherish it forever. I'm not sure about gift cards being loss of civility, but I can understand the sentiment.
  • I think the issue is that most people have the things they want - including children. There really isn't that much 'need' out there. The gift card is saying - get what you want because I don't know what you want or need.

I think people should just give cash or a check as a gift and stop with the cards that might charge a fee for use/non use or just keep the small odd amounts that the receiver doesn't use.