Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Are there any funds that meet my criteria? I sort of doubt it

edited May 2012 in Fund Discussions
I would be impressed and surprised by any fund manger that managed it The criteria is simple:
Outperform the S+P 500 in EACH of 2008. 2009,2010.2011.I would be almost as impressed by any fund that beat a 60% S+P 500, 40% total bond market performance in each of the 4 years.

Comments

• Dear Jerry: IJH has outperformed the S&P 500 2002-2012,except 2006.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://performance.morningstar.com/funds/etf/total-returns.action?t=IJH&region=USA
  • beebee
    edited May 2012
    Hi Jerry,

USNQX, USAA Nasdaq - 100 index or QQQ seem to perform better almost all years over the last decade when compared to SPX.

http://quote.morningstar.com/fund/chart.aspx?t=USNQX&region=USA&culture=en-US

On a relative basis...if one invested $10,000 in 2008 into SPX verses $10,000 in many fix income funds (PONDX, VFIIX, TGBAX, or even PRPFX) SPX would have fallen short of returning what these funds returned...including USNQX.

These conservative allocation funds do well even when compare with 60/40 funds such as VWELX or PRWCX
  • From my watch list....
    Bruce Fund (BRUFX), easily. By an average of about 7%/yr
    Westport R (WPFRX)
    Eaton Vance Atlanta Capital SMID-Cap (EAASX)
  • HI, Jerry -

Take a look at SAGWX (Sentinel Small Company Fund).

Archaic
  • beebee
    edited May 2012
    Reply to @Archaic:
    Hi Archiac,

As I reviewed SAGWX today, one of its holding, VSI (Vitamin Shoppe Inc) was up 15% today...wow! M* compared this holding to other funds that hold VSI, one being SGROX, Well Fargo Advantage Growth which seems to perform as well or better than SAGWX over the last five years. SGROX is more of a multi-cap fund.

I mention this because I was looking at SGROX today as part of Pearl Total Return fund, PFTRX, which is a fund of funds. Pearl uses an institution version of SGROX, but for the small investor SGROX doesn't have a load or high minimum.

I noticed your suggestion carried a load. Might be worth a peek.
  • Reply to @bee: In case you hadn't heard, PFTRX is liquidating on September 28. The fund management is weird and sort of reclusive, so I'm baffled but not surprised that they made the formal announcement of the liquidation with 10 months notice. Odd people.

David
  • Odd criterion. A Bill-Millerish sort of goal. Morningstar lists 102 funds, including 10 domestic large caps, that meet your criteria.

Is there something that attracted you to it?

David
  • No reason in particular Dave. I was just thinking that the years were so different that most managers are dedicated to certain styles that it would be unlikely too many were able to beat in every year. I knew for example that Long term Govt was best in 2008 (I owned bond funds but not that )and that tech generally out performed though I didn't think it did it in 08 .Looking at the charts provided though and I really appreciate the effort this seems like a case where a picture is not worth a thousand words as it is easy to tell that a fund outperformed over the entire period but hard to tell if that happened in all years.

Anyway thanks all for your input . I will look at a number of these funds.