Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

J.Maddel monthly read - MF newsletter Is Skill Still Relevant in the Era of the Indexes?

http://funds-newsletter.com/nov16-newsletter/nov16-new.htm

synosis -
Is Skill Still Relevant in the Era of the Indexes?

By Tom Madell

Anyone failing to notice that index funds, along with index-based ETFs are, day-by-day, becoming the preferred investments for investors likely hasn't been paying much attention. So it's more important than ever to consider the question of whether portfolios still managed based on presumably skillful interventions can realistically ever hope to consistently beat portfolios run on autopilot, that is, passively managed and made up of index funds.

Comments

• edited October 2016
    I posted this same newsletter a couple days back and just discovered it got moved to the bullpen after 80 viewings.

See below limk.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/29955/mutual-fund-etf-research-newsletter-november-2016-edition#latest

I sincerly hope this one put up by JonhN will stay up for discussion and possible comment longer than mine did as this newsletter is indeed good reading.

Please make comments on post you enjoy reading, or find favor in, or they will get moved to the bullpen, as mine did, if enough comments are not made to keep it posted under the discussion heading.
  • TedTed
    edited October 2016
    @Old_Skeet: Welcome to the club, unfortunately it's comments that count not views.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted,

Yep, I now know ...

Perhaps, this one will stay up for a while now that it has received a couple of comments.

Interesting, that it got sent to the bullpen as this newsletter addressed active vs. passive in a light that offered a different spectrum that the passive crowd might not have found favor in.

I am certaintly happy to see JohnN opened a new thread on the newsletter. So, sometimes double posting of information can indeed be a good thing.

Thanks for the comment.
    Skeet
  • And, @Ted,

I should have mentioned ... Thanks for the many reads that you put up that were indeed informative and beneficial to me. Sorry, I made no comment on them at the time.

Skeet