Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• MJG October 2016
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Carl Richards: One Of The Smartest Money Strategies Is Asking When You Don’t Know

FYI: Remember that kid in your high-school geometry class who raised his hand and asked the question everyone knew the answer to? Remember how the class laughed and thought he was so dumb?

It turns out that kid wasn’t dumb. That kid was humble. More humble than most of us. And being humble, when it comes to money, is incredibly smart.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/05/your-money/one-of-the-smartest-money-strategies-is-asking-when-you-dont-know.html?ref=your-money

Comments

• MJG
    edited October 2016
    Hi Guys,

Carl Richards took a very safe path when writing an article about asking questions. Not many folks would disagree with the importance of doing so.

The article did bring two bits of wisdom that I partially retain to surface. I say partially because I don't remember the exact quote or their sources. The first is that if you ask the question, you might be considered a fool for a few minutes. If you don't ask the question, you might be a fool forever. The second is that a smart person carefully frames a probing better question, and consequently gets a better answer.

These are my imperfect recalls of these famous sayings. Asking honest questions is never a bad idea.

Best Wishes.