Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Hear! - Hear!

2»

Comments

• edited October 2016
    I've never taken my investment advice from the board. And I don't think others should either. But, I've learned a lot here which has allowed me to make better decisions. Why anyone would abdicate their own decision making, their experience-driven instincts, or the the advice of trusted friends or financial advisors and replace it with advice received anonymously on a discussion board mystifies me. More often than not little attention is paid in the rendering of advice to another's age, needs, temperament, investment experience, other assets, family, health or years to retirement - all important to the decision making process. I do enjoy hearing others speak about how they invest. I may even take away some new ideas. But I find it a distinct "turn-off" when someone else appears to suggest they know more about how I should invest than I do (the audacity).

The best decision making is based on good information combined with one's past experience. To that end the board is rich in information. Unfortunately, the experience part is harder to come by. But it's very important. It's one thing to know how fund A, financial asset B or allocation model C performed over the past 15 years. It's quite something else to know how you will react the first time one of your investments doubles in value nearly overnight or falls 50% in 15 months.

The board is rich in posters who share valuable information. I don't want to make anyone blush, but one in particular can answer almost any question raised about mutual funds, SEC regs or tax laws, along with providing interesting insights into averages, norms, nominals, medians, front loads, back loads, reverse swaps and naked shorts - to name only a few. Often his posts motivate me to do further research on my own.

Can't overlook the wealth of information (tinged with advice) contained in David's monthly commentaries, which features some highly qualified writers. But, good as the publication is, temper its contents by reading a variety of other financial publications and also weigh it against your own experiences. (@Puddnhead, You had no idea where your post would lead.)

• Hi Hank.
    Lol -- Boy, you got that right! I stood aside not wanting to get involved.
    It started by looking at an old notebook of funds and notes. These sayings were there, so I thought I'd post them to see what others thought. Be good for a laugh or two and maybe learn something in the process. Again, .... who knew?
    God bless!
    the Pudd