Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Never forget!
  • I've been watching the replay of that day as it happened and it is stil, so fresh in all of our memories. Blessings to all survivors, families of the victims and especially to all of the first responders who ran toward the danger without trepidation to help.
  • MJG
    edited September 2016
    Hi Guys,

Thank you Ted for the 9/11 reference. We will never forget.

On a National holiday, I typically raise our flag and salute. Today, I raised our flag and saluted twice. Once in respect of our Nation. I made a second salute to honor the brave men and women who answered the call and raced up and upward to rescue potential victims. In the sudden end they were all victims. We will never forget.

As 9/11 approached, I dusted off a copy of Rudy Giuliani’s “Leadership” book and began a reread. The first chapter in “Leadership” records Giuliani’s reactions on that dastardly day. It’s a singular perspective and offers many lessons learned.

The other chapters in that excellent book devote a chapter each to 14 of his lessons learned. They were pertinent then and served him well, and they are pertinent today. Time has not eroded these insights.

Just a few that appear early in his list are: to prepare relentlessly, to accept accountability for your decisions, to reflect before deciding, and to surround yourself with great people. That last lesson is why I participate on MFO exchanges.

I hope it is not too insensitive on a day of remembrance, but many of his lessons are directly applicable when making investment decisions.

Song helps. Here is a Link to a Alan Jackson rendition of “Where were You when the World Stopped Turning?":.:

And if one is good, a second is better. Here is Lee Greenwood’s “Battle Hymn of the Republic”:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=battle+hymn+of+the+republic+lee+greenwood&gbv=2&oq=battle+hymn+of+the+republic+lee&gs_l=heirloom-hp.1.0.0l2j0i22i30l4.4316.30948.0.33674.39.17.4.18.18.0.223.2397.0j15j2.17.0....0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..1.38.2612.yCNeZaL2D-0

Wow, what an address?

Remember! Always remember!

Best Wishes.
  • An old friend of mine who's a retired NYTimes reporter still living in an affluent NJ suburb has recalled how, starting that afternoon, the local citybound commuter rail parking lots remained full of fancy cars, waiting. For several days.
  • edited September 2016
    Something in me doesn't like all the public display of remembrance (CNN & the rest). I say remember - but do so quietly and solemnly in your own way.

I've now been to the memorial three times since it opened. What a moving experience. I defy anyone to stand and read some of those names along the wall and keep a dry eye. Just overwhelming - especially when you see the Brigade Number or Engine Company each of the diseased public servants was a member of.

As for the new Trade Tower, the view from the top is awesome and the tours (around $35) nicely done. Well worth the expense. The ride up the 100+ floors in around 50 seconds is a marvel as well. I tell people from other areas that if all they did in NYC was take in the memorial and World One, the trip out there would be worth it.
  • edited September 2016
    I got up before daylight and awaited dawn. As it came I slowly lowered the falg at our home to half mast. This evening as the sun sets, I'll sowly raise it to full mast. I have observed some people as they walked the neighborhhod passing our home stop and pause for a moment with some providing a salute. After all, today is Patriot Day and a day of rememberance. Even my church had a special service this morning. Today has been quite a moving day for me.
  • I remember something which at the time seemed odd, but became more meaningful as time went on. The media described it as a series of building alarms nearby, or perhaps car alarms. In reality, what everyone heard was the sound of hundreds of the PASS (Personal Alert Safety System) alarms worn by firemen. They activate when they are motionless for 30 seconds. They continued chirping after the buildings collapsed, each one representing a life lost that day. It's a haunting sound.