Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comparing Total Return Bond ETFs

FYI: This has been a big year for U.S. fixed-income ETFs, which have led asset-class net creations with inflows of more than $60 billion year-to-date. In this segment, no fund has been more popular this year, or is bigger than the iShares Core U.S. Aggregate Bond ETF (AGG).
Regards,
Ted
http://www.etf.com/sections/features-and-news/comparing-total-return-bond-etfs?nopaging=1

Comments

• Interestingly, Vanguard Total Bond Market Index, BND, was not included in the article. This ETF has $162B in asset.
  • msf
    edited September 2016
    From the article: "Consider five ETFs that strive to beat the AGG" (i.e. to beat the total US investment grade bond market).

BND and Vanguard in general try to match market return, not beat it. No gimmicks, no going outside the defined market. No foreign bonds (TOTL, FBND), no junk (all but AGGY), no oveweighting sectors (all).

And BND has an actual performance history one can examine and analyze. It's more fun to speculate about funds whose lifetimes are measured in months.
  • Recently, I've been looking at GTO, a fairly new ETF. I'm trying to figure out how it compares to GIBAX.
  • gi.guggenheiminvestments.com/products/etf/gto

For anyone who wants to know more about GTO...