Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Want to Keep Gold In Your IRA At Home? It's Not Exactly Legal

FYI: (Click On Article Title At Top Of Google Search)
Advertisements this summer have claimed that people can invest their tax-free retirement accounts in gold and store it at home. But the IRS has issued a stern warning against the move.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/#q=Want+to+Keep+Gold+in+Your+IRA+at+Home?+It’s+Not+Exactly+Legal++wsj

Comments

• I've heard some of those radio ads. Kinda figured they didn't pass the 'smell test'. But then I've heard pitches for time-sharing units, "9% yields backed by 'hard assets'" and pitches for (essentially) penny stocks.

There are a lot of sharks out there. They will pitch whatever they think will stick, consequences to the little retail investor be-damned.

Even if the IRS did not have a problem with holding bullion in an IRA, it would be foolish in the extreme to do so. For a couple reasons. Bullion bought and held for extended periods of time, as 'portfolio insurance', is relatively tax-efficient. -- it throws off no yield, so taxes owed on the gain may be deferred for extended periods. OTOH if AU tanks after it is purchased, it can be sold for a taxable loss.

But more important than the tax aspect, is bullion's special attribute.. if you hold it/custody it yourself outside of a deferred account, your possession of it is unknown to anyone unless you tell them. It's 'private wealth'.

It would never occur to me locate bullion ins deferred account. (Obviously, I was not a part of the target-market for those ads, despite my affinity for bullion.)