Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• beebee
    edited April 2012
    Thanks mark,

An Investment I had never heard of before.
  • Hi bee,

You may aware of this "investment". Check the numbers just below the site name, in the blue title bar, towards the left edge.
    Alternative Investment

Take care,
    Catch

• Reply to @catch22: these guys really got in trouble during he crisis. Defauts were prevalent and many investors lost their principal. I watched this site in 2006/2007, but am happy i never jumped in.
  • Corporate notes marketed directly to small investors have been around for a couple of decades.

Google-cached article from Crain's Chicago:

"In the 1990s, Tom Ricketts pioneered the first corporate bonds marketed to individual investors ... In 1999 ABN Amro Bank NV ... consolidate[d] Mr. Ricketts' nascent business into its LaSalle Bank Unit. ... "We quit and started Incapital," Mr. Ricketts says. ... LaSalle ... offers its bonds under the trade name "direct access notes." ... Mr. Ricketts sells his bonds as "Internotes."

Fidelity's term is "Corporate Notes" - you can find the description of its program here. It notes that these bonds typically have survivor's options. Its list of participants is here.
  • Reply to @msf:

Thanks msf,
    Learning the terminology is half the process.