Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Josh Brown: The Truth About Treasurys

FYI: Peter Boockvar has a problem with the current narrative surrounding the US bond market. Mainly because the narrative is false…
Regards,
Ted
http://thereformedbroker.com/2016/08/16/the-truth-about-treasurys/

Comments

• Mr. Boockvar's factoid is news to me, but I assume it's true. --- Which begs the question how the narrative (foreigners dumping ZIRP sovereigns, bringing their money stateside and buying Treasurys) has taken hold, despite the fact that its apparently not happening...

Mr. Boockvar's factoid seems to be supported by the fact that the DXY is flat-tish YTD (UUP is down ~(4.5%).

I presume some (a lot) of the buying is speculators, hedge-funds, followers-on, buying Treasurys in anticipation of expected foreign buyers. If/when those buyers don't materialize, who will the speculators sell to? Suspect another set of buyers of Treasurys is related to regulations I've heard about, in terms of institutional MMF having to convert to all Treasury paper.
  • Did I miss something in the article that linked or cited data about the subject matter ???

@Ted . You've read, studied and learned as much as anyone of this board regarding forms of investing, money flows, etc. Did you find Mr. Brown's write a bit void of real data or information? @Edmond . You noted Mr. Boockvar offering a "factoid". I too don't find more than an opinion. Where is the data support?

Is there anything of value in this Fed. Reserve data in the below link (scroll down the data sheet for agency bonds buys/sells)?
    We know the data exists. It is a matter of who has this data (Fed. Reserve and Treasury) and whether the data is for public release, eh?

https://www.federalreserve.gov/econresdata/releases/secholdtrans/current.htm

We do as well here with opinion, as related to Mr. Brown's article.

Ya'll take care,
    Catch
  • @catch22, I think the link you provided is where the data is coming from... I'm not sure, however, where the June data he is referencing is? There is no August release of the June data available yet...
  • @catch22: I'm only the messenger not the message. I cannot attest to the veracity of Peter Boockvar math skills. He might be saying its a zero sum game when you subtract the buying from the selling.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Hi @Ted . Thank you for your time with this.
    I'm sure your links are appreciated here. And yes, we're only messengers for the links. I was a bit disappointed with this particular article of Mr. Brown's. He usually provides useful writes.
    @JoJo26 . Thank you, too for your input.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • re: "Mr. Boockvar offering a "factoid". I too don't find more than an opinion. Where is the data support?"

I didn't bother to comment, but that was exactly my question also.