Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Invest In Europe Funds ? You Might Want To Stay Away For Now

TedTed
edited April 2012 in Fund Discussions
FYI: Suggest you also take profits in any Emerging Market Funds you own. I sold my position in EEM the day before yesterday.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/columnist/waggon/story/2012-04-26/europe-financial-crisis-euro/54563614/1

Comments

• Ted: Are you letting your cash position to build? Just curious.
  • beebee
    edited April 2012
    I'm a little confused...as usual. The title of the article (deals with Europe) and your recommendation seems to relate to the sale of EEM fund (Emerging Markets).

I actually see less debt issues in Emerging Markets and maybe even in Eastern Europe and Russia. Not that they won't feel the impact of Europe's issues.

As for European equities, I think global European based companies such as Nestle and others will show signs of continued growth.

VGK, Vanguard MSCI Europe has this for its top 25 holdings:
    http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/holdings?t=VGK&region=USA
    This fund seem to be range bound between $40-$50 since '09. I try to trade it between these two levels and collect the dividend (4%) when I hold it.

Except for the financials, I like this list of global companies that pay a nice dividend.
  • edited April 2012
    The usual ""You can talk to many economists about the effect of austerity programs on gross domestic product and get many answers" routine. I very much doubt that any of the FA/MFO regulars are going to be too surprised by anything that happens in Europe- all of the factors and ingredients for trouble have been painfully apparent for quite a while now.

You either decide to close your eyes and ride it out or get the hell out while the getting is good. The troubles in Europe are also going to affect the emerging countries to a certain extent, as both raw material and product demand is of course going to fall a bit, if it hasn't already. On the other hand, China may very well pick up some the slack by stockpiling commodities at a good price. If things get bad enough, they are also bound to eventually impact the US as well- exporters like CAT, for instance, although the food-stock exports will probably be relatively safe.

But I see nothing new here- this situation has been building and limping along for at least a year already. Why all the excitement at this point?

7: 00 pm PST: But a few hours later...

⇒ Maybe Ted's on to something after all...

• It is hard to imagine that European financial problems do not spread globally. Question is how bad will be get before recovery returns.
  • Reply to @Sven: Yes, for sure.