Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• bee April 2012
  • Ted April 2012
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• beebee
    edited April 2012
    Thanks Ted,

From your article:
    "...even off years are lucrative for the biggest funds: Together, the 10 biggest megafunds earned nearly $3 billion in fees for their respective fund companies in their most recent fiscal years."

As a small investor, buying stock in certain fund companies, such as TROW (T. Rowe Price), might be a way of participating in these profits.

Wisdom Tree(WETF), Federated Investments (FII), T Rowe Price(TROW) and Janus (JNS) issue stocks that individual investors can own.

Here TROW's growth charted against the S&P 500:

(Source Article on these fund company stocks)
    The Frugal Fund Company That's Up 38%
    "mutual fund companies are highly scalable businesses. There's not much added cost in managing a $1 billion fund than a $500 million one -- but there's about twice as much revenue, because fund companies collect a percentage of assets. Last year, WisdomTree reported a 59% jump in advisory fees, but only a 26% increase in expenses."
    http://www.smartmoney.com/invest/stocks/the-frugal-fund-company-thats-up-38-1334066662408/

Here's WETF Growth chart compared against TROW, FII, JNS, and the S&P 500...they all appear as a flat set of lines...WETF grew $10,000 into almost $1.25 million over the last 10 years...in 2004 it grew over 4000%....wowwy:
  • Dear Bee: If you followed my posts on the old FundAlarm Board, I advocated "if you like the fund then buy the fund company." Over the years I have owned TROW, GROW, JNS, & BEN.
    Regards,
    Ted