Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Ah Zacks. With insightful observations:

- "American Century Global Gold Investor ... invests a bulk ... of its assets in ... companies which are involved in ... gold."

- "T. Rowe Price New Era ... invests more than two-thirds of its assets in ... companies that own or develop natural resources."

- "Vanguard Energy Investor ... invests a lion’s share of its assets in ... companies ... related to the energy sector."

- "American Century Utilities Investor BULIX invests a major part of its assets in common stocks of companies which are involved in the utilities sector."

• There are times where I wonder if Zacks, Bezinga, and other intraday finance content providers are writing this stuff themselves or using some AI algorithms to do it.
  • @rforno- Never seen an "AI algorithm". Are those like trained monkeys?:)
  • edited August 2016
    Ha. I averaged into PRNEX beginning about a year ago when it seemed no one wanted it. As the author says, the ER beats many similar funds (and many of T.Rowe's other growth funds as well). Heavy on refiners. I've been slowly averaging out since oil got back above $40.

What's really funny is that even the fund's manager sounded bearish six-months to a year ago. (I got the impression he was telling people not to buy his fund.):) His take (as related thru fund reports) was that energy and commodities were only mid-way through a multi-year bear likely to last several more years. (Someone linked an interview here wherein he made that point.)

He may still be proven right, but as of yesterday PRNEX was up 21% YTD. It's more aggressive than I normally hold in my equity portion, preferring their tamer PRWCX. But in comparing PRNEX to their other growth funds, I suspect it still has a lot of catching-up to do in the next few years. Just a hunch. Will resume scaling out as the fund's price rises above $35.

FWIW