Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Neuberger Berman Sued For Excessive 401(k) Fees

FYI: Another financial services company has been targeted for costly proprietary investments in its 401(k) plan, leading to allegations of self-dealing at the expense of employees.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20160804/FREE/160809954?template=printart

Comments

• Thanks for the post.

My employer's 401k added that Marvin Straus-managed fund to our 401k ~ 18 months ago. Never understood why. It made huge overweight bets in certain sectors (energy, at exactly the wrong time). And there is no real-time info on the fund. A website that provided quarterly updates disappeared. Expenses were high. And, pardon this "ageist" statement, an investment professional who started in the biz in 1961.. should he be a lead portfolio manager in 2016?

I assumed that Marvin Schwartz was a friend/relative of someone who sits on my employer's 401k committee (or the CEO's wife), or that 'consideration' was provided under the table to add the fund to our menu of choices.

My 401k has better choices Vanguard equity and PIMCO bond funds, so I've not forced to contribute to good-ole Marvin's estate, but found it annoying that with so many decent, even superior choices which could have been added to our plan, my employer's investment committee, presumably acting in a fiduciary capacity, chose Marvin.