Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Breakfast Briefing: U.S. Stocks Poised For A Return To Winning Ways

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Hi @Ted,

Thanks for posting these daily blurbs. I enjoy reading them form time-to-time along with their spin.

Under reading the above US take ... it seems to me ... if stocks were to return to their winning ways then their rolling twelve month earnings number would be rising year over year and ahead of last years. All in reported earnings (TTM) for the S&P 500 Index closed out this past June at about $90.02 according to my Standard & Poors tracking. At the first of this year all in reported earnings (TTM) were projected to come in at $109.82 but actually came in as reported at $90.02 through June. This is a considerable miss in my book for a year ago as they came in at $94.90; and, with this, they fell short of their previously year's number by about $4.88.

I truly love the way some authors (and even Wall Street), at times, can put spin on things.

There might be some that are hyped up about the recent maket surge in it's price; but, if one looks at fundamentals we are currently back of where we were a year ago from an earnings perspective. As a seasoned retail investor I buy more from an earnings perspective and not as much from a price perspective. Stocks are indeed richly priced and not as a good of a buy today as they were a year ago.

Well let us just say, I did not drink their kool-aid on this one.
  • Well let us just say, I did not drink their kool-aid on this one.
    @Old_Skeet, totally concur.
  • @Old_Skeet & MFO Members: Article ties in with your keen observation about the market being overpriced.
    Regards,
    Ted
    Investors In This Market No Longer Respect Valuations
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/investors-in-this-market-no-longer-respect-valuations-2016-07-22/print