Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• MJG June 2016
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

:Historical Returns Versus Investor Returns

FYI: The 1950s were a great time to be an investor. It was the only decade where stocks began at the lows and finished right near the highs. Furthermore, the total return on the S&P 500 was 486%, the strongest of any decade ever.
Regards,
Ted
http://theirrelevantinvestor.com/2016/06/15/historical-returns-versus-investor-returns/

Comments

• MJG
    edited June 2016
    Hi Guys,

The referenced article that presents the shortfalls of investor returns relative to market rewards in the 1950s doesn't adequately document this highly persistent pattern. The individual investor shortfall is a reality across all decades. It is surely not restricted to that decade alone.

DALBAR has reported this wealth limiting private investor handicap for many years now. In any given year, individual investors recover only 30% to 50% of equity market returns. We historically do not score well, and very often don't recognize our poor performance.

I suppose we are frequently overconfident of our capabilities in this challenging arena. Even most fund managers underperform. Our hubris limits our ability to properly score ourselves. We don't beat the odds.

Study after study demonstrates that as investors we suck wind big time. I mostly gave up this losing fight a number of years ago. I spend far less time worrying the marketplace and specific investment decisions these days. I'm heavily into Index products. Life is much easier now!

EDIT: It would likely be a good practice to check our Egos before making an investment decision. That's easy to say but is a high hurdle for many of us. Fortunately I was never the smartest person in any and all rooms.

Best Wishes.